NextPVR Forums

Full Version: UK Sky By Broadband
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In the UK Sky have just launched a Sky By Broadband service for downloading movies and sports and then viewing them on a PC using MS Digital Rights Management within Media Player 10.
Is there any way that I would be able to view this content on an MVP or will I be restricted to the host PC.
I want to know whether I will be better off setting this service up on my main GBPVR server or on my wifes VAIO laptop which I could then plug into our projector directly rather than use an MVP.
It looks an interesting service and is currently free for Sky customers.
Happy New Year,
ArfurAnt
Im going to try this now, so will let you know if the files can be played back in GBPVR (i very much doubt this, given the DRM situation at the moment - its probably like the BBC's service where files are deleted after 7 days etc)

I'll also see if it can be installed on more thanone PC in the house.
Will try later, their website is horribly slow and its New Years eve and i need to go out!

See you in 2006
Let me know what progress you make - hope you enjoyed yourself last night!
I gave up on this in the end. Their download failed three times. and once it did download, the installer gave an error relating to an corupt install .ini file or something like that.

It annoyed me and i gave up.

From reading the info though it seems only 1 PC can use the software at a time. you can register additional users so i assume you would have to log out before your wife would be able to log in on another PC for instance.

Besides i get the feeling the download speed wont match certain other methods of downloading movies and the choice wont be the same!!

And yes it was a good NYE!
I have just downloaded it and it installed ok, had to perform an MS DRM Patch to Media Player and just waiting for Heartbeat to finish recording on GBPVR before restarting it and having a go at downloading a movie.
I shall keep you posted on progress and whether I can 'view' the resulting file on an MVP.
My hangover has nearly worn off now . . . .
i gave this ago today, i downloaded irobot, it stores the file as a wmv but i wasn't able to get gbpvr to play the file. i guess it has something to do with the drm protection. i can play the file in windows media player 10 so it's not the file.
I have downloaded a few films and watched them in Media Player but not tried from within GBPVR yet. Can you play unprotected WMV files using GBPVR on your system, I need to find one to try it out!