NextPVR Forums

Full Version: MVP Across switches
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have a 100 meg switch and have just added a gigabit switch to my network, as i transfer large files between some machines on my network.

I put the GBPVR server onto the gigabit switch, and now the 2 MVPs (still on the 100 meg switch) come up with "Failed to locate GUI server". However I can connect to the internet from it (the router is connected to the 100 meg switch), so i know the connection from the 100 meg to the gigabit switch is ok.

I have read existing threads on the subject and it's as i thought, ie - it's only the subnet that should cause this problem. But, when i put the GBPVR server back on the 100 meg switch, all is fine again.

Is it simply a case of rebooting the switches to force them to clear out any tables they've built up in memory? Or is there something else going on here?

Regards,

Antony Scott.
The MVP's work fine through multiple switches. I have two MVP's which traffic through a 100 Mbit switch -> router -> gigabit switch -> gbpvr machine.

Any possibility your gbpvr machine is getting a different IP address when you reconnect it to the gigabit switch? If so, did you disconnect power on the MVPs? If not, they'll be using the old IP address of the gbpvr machine and never be able to see it.
don't think there is any chance the ip addresses are getting messed up, as the router is on the 100 meg switch and i checked the dhcp logs, all the PCs i connected to the gigabit switch got there old addresses back.

I will try cycling the power on everything as tipstir suggested.

I'll also check my gbpvr logs in more detail when i power up the MVPs just to make sure the request is getting through to the gbpvr machine.

thanks for the help so far, i'll give it another go when i get home tonight
After i'd put the GBPVR server back onto the 100 meg switch, i was still getting "Failed to contact GUI server", but then it'd connect after another 3-4 seconds anyway.

So i've not put it back onto the gigabit switch and it's working fine. It still comes up with "Failed to contact GUI server", but connects anyway after a few seconds.

Does anyone know what's going on here? Just out of curiosity really.
Check your port on the switch and see if there are errors...
I suspect the mediaMVP to have a flaky eth interface, mine is spitting more than half of its packets with errors
do you mean watch the little led for collisions?

other than that i don't know how to check a port on a switch.
there should be no collisions ever (unless you have a hub somewhere). Switches are supposed to reduce collisions to zero

I was thinking either a console port giving you stats, or a webpage, or software to monitor your switch from your PC... not all switches offer that type of features, so yours may not.
i have since rebooted the GBPVR server and it's working fine now, no "Failed to contact GUI server" messages.

I'm guessing the switches were "getting used" to the move!