NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Get a CD/DVD or seperate CD DVD players?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Plextor seems to have great drives that do read/write of CD/DVD and their formats.

Is it recommended to get a CD/DVD or seperate CD & DVD players?
In the past, I'd say it's better to get seperate ones because I'd put a regular CD in a CD/DVD combo drive and it would take around 30 seconds for the drive to determine it was a CD and let me access it.

But I have a CDwriter/DVD reader combo in my home and work computers and they are faster, but still takes longer to recognized a CD than a regular CDwriter/CDreader only drive does.

If you can put up with the extra time it takes the drive to recognize what media is in it, then a single drive will be fine.

I've run the gamut on brands and they all seem to behave about the same, Sony, Liteon, Plextor, Benq,...

I'm in the market for a DVD burner and the Pioneer looks attractive. A friend of mine has it and says it works as expected.
Pioneer is definitely a good option for the price. I swear by my Plextor DVD RW drive. I haven't had the $$$ to play with the DL feature, but I've only had one of their drives burn out on me - 5-6 year-old CD-RW. The performance is good, and I don't see a reason to have a separate CD drive.

I can't recommend TDK drives - I had their CD/DVD RW drive burn out on me after 2-1/2 years.