NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Wired or Wireless?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If running GBPVR as a file server as well for a home network, should its connection to the network be wired or wireless? (I currently run a Wireless G router)
Wired will work 100%. Wireless will run less than that.
Btw, that is assuming both are set up properly.

If I have the Cat 5 running through a potato as part of a 5th grade homemade-router science project, then wireless will probably be superior.
I made my choice powernet!
Just plug the devices into the outlets and... thats all!
Check the features of this two products:
- Devolo Highspeed -> http://www.devolo.com
- Atlantisland PL200 -> http://www.atlantisland.it/home.php?apri...romindex=1

They work great!Big Grin
Being in the business of setting up home automation, networks, audio/video, etc. i can say that without a doubt wired is always preferable. Wireless is just fine for taking your laptop out on the deck but anything you depend on should be wired.
I don't have a GBPVR server, but my dedicated HTPC is hooked directly to the TV and then used 802.11b wireless to reach upstairs for retreiving EPG/OS/AV updates. I also play my MP3s and photos off my upstairs PC with that connection. It worked fine for that, but wasn't fast enough to watch video on an office PC that resides on my HTPC. But just last night I upgraded to 802.11G and it works just fine for streaming video and moving big files. If I had a ranch style house, I would run cable, but with a 2-story, it'd be a PITA.
you should always use wire IF possible. It's cheaper, much faster and secure.

having said that, I have been forced to run my pvr server with wireless (g) and it is fine for downloads, epg update , browsing and streaming mp3s. The only problem that I have is that I can only stream low quality recordings to my laptop and even then I suffer from stuttering. If you are thinking of getting wireless and want to stream recordings, consider an pre-n (n) mimo setup
Thanks for all the help guys, great suggestions.
I use a 54g wireless connection between my pvr machine and my main pc and it works fibe for both mpg2 and divx format files.

I get a very short blip maybe every 3 hours but its certainly preferable to having a network cable trailing around the place. It may not help trying to do wireless comms right next to a huge tv set which must interefre with the signal. My USB dongle is on the end of a usb extension so i can get it away from the tv a bit.

HTH