NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Hauppage MVP Brightnes / Contrast Control
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi.

Is there a way (simple I hope) to adjust the contrast level on the Media Extender?

I am trying this box with SageTV server ( SageTV trial version) and the output of the MVP shows about 35% darker than normal - which is not acceptable to me.
GB-PVR does things differently to SageTV. You're better off asking over at their forums.
sub Wrote:GB-PVR does things differently to SageTV. You're better off asking over at their forums.

I want to try out GB-PVR. From the looks of it, it's the same if not better than SageTV.

I was just wondering how I can increase the Brightness level of an MVP unit using GBPVR?

Has anyone here notice a darker image using MVP with GBPVR?
About all you can do is adjust the "Brightness" setting in direct.ini.
sub Wrote:About all you can do is adjust the "Brightness" setting in direct.ini.

I played with GBPVR last night and YES, I was able to increase the BRIGHTNESS level on my MVP unit to fix the darkness problem.

As for the settings in direct.ini file, there are a LOT more settings available than just the brightness setting. Here is a copy of some of the settings available:

Brightness=AUTO
Contrast=AUTO
Hue=AUTO
Saturation=AUTO
Sharpness=AUTO
Gamma=AUTO
WhiteBalance=AUTO
Gain=AUTO

I should also state for others having this problem that it is NOT the brightness setting you will want to change to make your MVP show "brighter", but the CONTRAST setting.
joe123 Wrote:I should also state for others having this problem that it is NOT the brightness setting you will want to change to make your MVP show "brighter", but the CONTRAST setting.

What value did you change it to? What is the scale, 0 - 100, something else?
ww4397 Wrote:What value did you change it to? What is the scale, 0 - 100, something else?

Yes, all settings are 0-100 or "AUTO". I changed my Contrast to 85 (i think). It made a HUGE difference.
Does anyone know if when you change the direct.ini settings for the Contrasts or Brightness levels, if that affects *ALL* units doing playback?

I am asking this because as some of you may know, the MVP's show the image somewhat dark and adjusting the Contrast or Brightness level on the direct.ini fixes this, *BUT* when I watched a movie on my PC which has the GBPVR server software, the image looked Brighter as well.

Is there a way to change the BRIGHTNESS or CONTRAST level *ONLY* for the MVP's?

Also, does anyone know if these settings are for the MVP unit itself or only to compensate for the MVP darkness problem via sending a brighter stream to the MVP?
The direct.ini file changes the brightness, etc that the show is recorded at, or processed at for live TV and not the output of the MVP. There really is not a direct brightness control for the MVP. My understanding is this is for GBPVR or any other software.
I am pretty sure it affects all RECORDINGS. So they will playback they way you want. It only affects the ones recorded after the change. So if you plan on making DVDs of your recordings, I'd make your settings based on that, and adjust your TV to make the MVP look good.
Pages: 1 2