NextPVR Forums

Full Version: MVP Aspect Ratio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Have just got my MVP and set it up using GBPVR. Had a few teething troubles, but seems to be working well now.

One thing I would like to be able to do is change the Aspect Ratio on the MVP when playing video. The MVP outputs full screen, which is fine for widescreen TV, but it would be nice to be able to change it to 4:3 for other TV, or very widescreen for movies etc.

From the keyboard page on the wiki(http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Quick...Reference), I have found that I can do this by pressing F7 when using GBPVR on the PC, but can't see how to do this on the MVP.

Any assitance gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Paul
GB-PVR has no control over the aspect ratio on the MVP.
FWIW, I used the Hauppauge software to set one of my MVP's to 16:9, then switched back to gbpvr to control it.

I then manually switch the ratio on the TV which works fine.

David.
Thanks for you quick responses.

As the video is resized when it is transcoded, surely there could be someway to control the output?
CarrPA Wrote:Thanks for you quick responses.

As the video is resized when it is transcoded, surely there could be someway to control the output?

If you are transcoding, converting a non-mpeg file to mpeg for MVP paly, then you can adjust the ratio in the config.xml file in the MVPFFmpegTranscodeCmdLineNTSC tag. I increased the bitrate, framsize and set the aspect ration on my line and transcoding still works great....although I have a lot of horsepower to throw at the transcoding process to do all that.

Here is how I have mine set:
<MVPFFmpegTranscodeCmdLineNTSC>-y -i "{SOURCE_FILE}" -b 5000 -s 480x480 -aspect 16:9 -vcodec mpeg2video "{DEST_FILE}"</MVPFFmpegTranscodeCmdLineNTSC>

You can set all kinds of things with FFMpeg on this line....look here for complete documentation:
I think the big factor there is that it's an IF you are transcoding, if you're not then there's no control which is why I set my MVP to 16:9 and then set accordingly on the tele which works fine for me.

David.
djtaylor Wrote:I think the big factor there is that it's an IF you are transcoding, if you're not then there's no control which is why I set my MVP to 16:9 and then set accordingly on the tele which works fine for me.

David.
Unfortunately my TV won't manually switch between aspect ratios so I have to mess about stopping GBPVR / starting Huppauge / changing the aspect ratio / stopping Huppauge / Staring GBPVR whenever I want to change aspect ratio (which is frequently). Ideally I'd like the capture device (WinTV PVR USB2) to set the ratio and the MVP to swap ratios accordingly but AFAIK composite video doesn't carry the required information (would using an RGB to Svideo adapter help with that?) so it would really help me if one of the buttons on the remote could be set up to swap aspect ratios.
Many thanks UncleJohnsBand, this is just what I was after.
Haven't tried it out yet but sounds like it will do the trick.

My main problem is not with 4:3 and 16:9 tv, but with some very widescreen movie files, which the MVP stretchs to 16:9. Hopefully I'll be able to force it to retain the aspect ratio of the original file.

Thanks again,

Paul
Use Avisynth to add borders/crop to make a 16:9 or 4:3 image output.
Then play your .avs file instead of the .avi
LilY0da Wrote:Use Avisynth to add borders/crop to make a 16:9 or 4:3 image output.
Then play your .avs file instead of the .avi

FFMPEG has the capability to apply borders via the command line as well....
Pages: 1 2