NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Mvp 802.11g
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all

Just found a cool 11G device, Asus WL-330G, and before forking out 40 quid for it, any one successfully got an MVP working with wireless?

Cheers
Hi Ted,

I recently added my MVP to my wireless net work using a Belkin Wireless G Ethernet adapter and it worked a treat. Initially I had some configuration problems but once they were ironed out everything worked fine.
ted - I've got it working with 802.11g, which works great 95% of the time. It sometimes skips a bit when someone is using the phone (2.4 GHz cordless), and it always drops out when someone is using the microwave for more than ~20 seconds.

gruskada
I have a wireless g network using a Belkin router and an Airport Express connecting to the MediaMVP - works great. Only interference is as mentioned earlier - 2.4 GHz phone and microwave (both are kind of in the line of sight of the 2 wireless components).
I have an MVP in the bedroom running over 802.11B with an old game adaptor I had knocking around!

Well, okay, there are certain caveats:

- Only recordings done at medium setting will work; higher bitrates will stutter
- Minimal other network traffic; you can use the wireless MVP or use the phone (voip), not both Wink
- It's only about 20' from the AP on the same floor

I wouldn't recommend it - ymmv - but it can be done; wireless is never gonna be as good as wired for video, but g should be fine.
I had mine working wireless for a while. quite reliably. It can certainly work but I'd still go wired if it's even remotely possible.

2.4 GHz phones, microwaves or other gear can drop your network dead. Even if you get rid of all your phones, what about your neighbor? Neighbors wireless networks can interfere with yours too. I could see 3 other neighbors wireless networks from my house and the homes are all brick and sit on 1/3 to 1/2 acre lots.

Streaming high bitrate video is about as bandwidth intensive and unforgiving as it gets. The MVP buffers next to nothing so even the slightest disturbance can mean you have to restart. If your network hiccups for a sec while you're surfing the web or downloading a file, no big deal... it picks up where it left off after a second or two. If it hiccups while you're streaming a video, the MVP disconnects and you spend 15 - 60 seconds waiting for the MVP to reconnect and then you restart your video. How many times does that have to happen before the wife gets irked or the kids say "Dad, why can't we just go rent this on video?"

Even though mine worked pretty good while I had it wireless, and others obviously have success, just search the forums to see how many people have trouble too. My recommendation is not to go wireless unless you have no other choice.
Cheers for the response, Its Just my mate wants one for his lounge and has a wireless network, he does suffer from dropouts from microwave / telephone use...I,m seeing him at the weekend to possibly discuss pulling his floorboards up and run a few Cat 6 cables under his floor.

Thanks

PVR150+MVP+GBPVR = The dogs b*&*%$s

PS there are rumors of a wireless MVP apearing on our shores soon, they reckon March.....
You should also think very carefully about powerline networking. I've been using this with my MVP for a couple of months and the performance is flawless with the 85Mbps version.