NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Live Preview Mode with PVR-150 does not work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

first of all I like to say thank you for this great software and this nice forum.

Now to my problem. I try to use the Preview Mode with my MVP and a PVR-150, but it doesn't work. I like to use the preview mode, because switching to another channel took about 8 sec.. After searching a lot I thougt the problem is the mux, but it seems the pvr-150 doesn't use a mux.

So the questions are:

Does the MVP with a pvr-150 supports preview mode?
Does the MVP with a pvr-150 needs the settings for the BDA multiplexer?
Which configuration do I have to set for Deinterlacing?

Thank you for your help.

Olaf from Hannover
Since you posted this in the MVP section I assume you mean preview mode with the MVP. I don't believe this is possible, I'm pretty sure you can only use preview when viewing on the PC.

If you don't mean viewing on the MVP you posted in the wrong section and may not get many replies here. I only view through the MVP so can't really help you.
Quote: I like to use the preview mode, because switching to another channel took about 8 sec..
For me it takes about 4 seconds to change channels on my MVP with a PVR150 (but it can seem like 8 seconds when you like channel surfing).

When you change channels, it needs to stop the current recording, start a new recording, tell the MVP to start playing the new file, then the MVP will buffer a couple of MBs of video data before it'll start showing video. These steps can take a while. There isnt really much I can do to speed it up.

Quote:Does the MVP with a pvr-150 supports preview mode?
No, the MVP is permanently in timeshift mode. The MVP was designed for playing MPEG files, so that is what GB-PVR does to make TV viewing possible.

Quote:Does the MVP with a pvr-150 needs the settings for the BDA multiplexer?
No, not unless you're using a digital BDA card. The PVR150 is an analog card, and does not require a mux filter.

Quote:Which configuration do I have to set for Deinterlacing?
The deinterlacing setting is only used for live preview mode, so not relevent to the MVP.
Thank you Lucas, If changed my thread.
I have tried some other things, too, e.q. changing the quartz.dll, changing the delay, defragmenting the harddisk, ..., but nothing helps.

-------------------------------
1,7 GHz AMD
400 MB RAM
Win 2000
160 GB
50 GB
1 x MVP
1 x PVR-150
Thank you sub ,
well I think I understand now how it works, but wouldn't it be nice, to have the possibility to start the recording on my own. If I have configured the preview mode, I would be able to start the recording by hand on the MVP, e.q. by pressing the recording button.
Maybe I don't understand 100% the philosophy.

Nice greetings from Hannover,
Olaf
Live preview mode will never be available on the MVP. It is just not the way Hauppauge designed this device to work. This device is for playing files, so it needs to record tv so that the MVP can play it.
sub Wrote:Live preview mode will never be available on the MVP. It is just not the way Hauppauge designed this device to work. This device is for playing files, so it needs to record tv so that the MVP can play it.

The MVP isn't reading files right off the PC though, right? GB-PVR is streaming it there somehow, right? I was thinking about this before and how maybe a couple hundred meg of memory could hold the data in sort of a looping buffer (overwrites at the front when filled). Since by definition in live preview mode you can't pause or go back (right?) you'd be safe - any of those operations would write the buffer to disk and go to timeshift mode. Not necessarily asking for it - just curious.

Then I was thinking since I have 2 G of memory that is largely unused I'd try making a RAM disk and use that for my live tv location. The issue here would be running out of space, but as long as there was enough space for the longest show I would watch, it would be okay, right? It's my understanding that there's a new file for each show for live tv, ie when a show ends a new file starts and switches over (creating some funny stuttering at times, too). Would live tv just exit if the disk got full (virtual or not)? Is there a setting for how long live tv will record before switching files? I can see where you might not want to grow one big file if watching a 3 hour baseball game, for instance. I'll report how it goes if I try it soon.

EDIT - just tried it. Seems to work fine. Seems a bit quicker, too. I only had 30 meg allocated so it was easy to test running out of space. The MVP just gets stuck stuttering on the last few frames until you stop.