NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Adding a PVR 500 to a system with a 150 retail
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all,
I've been using GBPVR with a PVR 150 retail (i think... it just has the coax and A/V inputs and the IR plug). I want to add another tuner, and I figure I could just go with the 500 and save myself the worry of getting another tuner after that. Will everything work fine? Can someone with the 150 and a 500 attest to that? How will the remote functionality be affected? Can i use the hauppauge remote from the 150 to control GBPVR as well as to change the channel (on any of the 3 tuners--1 on the 150, 2 on the 500) in Live TV?

BTW, I use the 150 with a digital cable STB, but would use the 500 with straight-from-the-wall analog cable. So could the IR blaster tell the STB to change the channel so GBPVR can record it on one tuner, while I control Live TV using the remote on another tuner? Sorry if the questions are a bit confusing, I'm just a little confused about how the IR would work with multiple tuners.
The 500 will work just fine with the 150 retail. When you set up the 500 you need set up the first instance as a 500 with no FM tuner, and the second instance as a 500 with FM tuner.

The whole IRQ thing is kind of a mystery. It's difficult to tell whether the system sees the 150 or the 500 first. The way I figured it out was to watch Live TV and remove and replace the antenna cable. It seems like GBpvr might see the tuner in the lower numbered PCI slot first.

In my case the 150 retail is in slot 0 and the 500 is in slot 2. In the GBpvr tuner setup I have:

Tuner #1 - 150 retail
Tuner #2 - 500 w/o FM tuner
Tuner #3 - 500 w/FM tuner

I don't have cable, so I can't help you with that question.

Hope that helps,
Daris
Hy

The only quirk I have had adding cards is that the new card is not correctly recognised after installation. Solved this by uninstalling the Hauppauge drivers, restart and reinstall. ( I guess this happens when the new card not added as the last card by windows).
darisb Wrote:The 500 will work just fine with the 150 retail. When you set up the 500 you need set up the first instance as a 500 with no FM tuner, and the second instance as a 500 with FM tuner.

The whole IRQ thing is kind of a mystery. It's difficult to tell whether the system sees the 150 or the 500 first. The way I figured it out was to watch Live TV and remove and replace the antenna cable. It seems like GBpvr might see the tuner in the lower numbered PCI slot first.

In my case the 150 retail is in slot 0 and the 500 is in slot 2. In the GBpvr tuner setup I have:

Tuner #1 - 150 retail
Tuner #2 - 500 w/o FM tuner
Tuner #3 - 500 w/FM tuner

I don't have cable, so I can't help you with that question.

Hope that helps,
Daris
For future reference, the DeviceType utility at http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/FAQ/DeviceTypeCheck will tell you the device number for the Hauppauges in your machine.
With adding these cards the way you have, it there any dudy, funky way of adding the channels to the PVR500 without actually going through the tuning set up again??

I'd like to transfer my aerial (coax) based channels to the PVR500 and leave the Cable box on the PVR150.
Good Wishlist item psycik, I've wanted to do that too once or twice, it'd be great to be able to either copy and paste the whole thing, then simply change the Card Type Settings or export and reimport the settings.

Probably not high on subs wishlist as it is only performed if you add a card, so it's not an everyday item. But for those with 3000 channels or so ... (I only have 6) ... it might be nice.

k.
Same I only have six, so I guess I'll do it the old fashioned way. Hope this works!! Smile
I have both those tuners plus a powercolor 550 In config I have
150 first Ir blaster on this card
550 second
1-500 third
2-500 fourth
I have the Hauppauge 45 remote and it will change chanels on whatever card GBpvr is using at the time for live tv It all works fine with GBPVR.
I cant tell you about chanel change on a box, I dont do that. I have straight cable hook up