NextPVR Forums

Full Version: HDTV Capable cards
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I wish to appologize in advance for this very newb question. I recently set up my own pvr machine using a PVR-350 and i LOVE it. However, i currently am not set up for HDTV (No hd tv or service set up as of yet... i probably will in the future)..

My question is, what HDTV / win-tv card can i purchase that will work with GBpvr?
It might help if you say what part of the globe you are on.....
It might help if you say what part of the globe you are on.....

hmmmm good point. Smile sorry. Im in North America / US
The DVICO cards work well. Users here have DVICO Fusion 3 and Fusion 5 cards.
-stattik- Wrote:The DVICO cards work well. Users here have DVICO Fusion 3 and Fusion 5 cards.

So- what are current thoughts on complete digital switchover (2009? in the US), DRM and HDTV etc?

I go back and forth, thinking I should get a digital or HDTV capable card now before they start putting broadcast flag restrictions in, but then looking at the HDCP issues that have come to light (different yet similar tech, I know- the short story is, all the computer cards that are supposed to be capable of decoding encryped stuff actuallly will not be able to do it- if I read correctly) I have a hard time believing that cards they sell now will be able to work as needed in a few years once they figure out what to do for digital/ broadcast flags/ DRM etc.

This isn't a huge issue for me yet as I still have the same TV I had in 1985 Smile but I need to update tech sometime soonish...

What are people here planning for?

Thanks for thoughts.
Does the DVICO FusionHDTV5 Gold Plus, HDTV Tuner Card need a separate PCI analog TV tuner card as well? This user's review seems to imply so:

http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_reviews...ews_id/110

Thanks in advance!!!!!
It sounds like they are talking about a video card for output. The Dvico card is a tuner and captures the data stream, but from what I have gathered you need a decent video card for output and the MVP is not capable of playback.
toomanyhandles Wrote:So- what are current thoughts on complete digital switchover (2009? in the US), DRM and HDTV etc?

I go back and forth, thinking I should get a digital or HDTV capable card now before they start putting broadcast flag restrictions in, but then looking at

This isn't a huge issue for me yet as I still have the same TV I had in 1985 Smile but I need to update tech sometime soonish...

What are people here planning for?

Thanks for thoughts.

I Just bought a Pro Brand STB ATSC tuner (circuit city) for tv and 5.1 sound output to a 10 year old 4:3 analog set and HT setup. Holding off for now on a widescreen set or projector till prices lower. Looking at Dvico card for computer and the only way I would get a card for the computer is if an MVP like device could do the output chores, hope a new MVP comes out that will fit the bill.
toomanyhandles Wrote:So- what are current thoughts on complete digital switchover (2009? in the US), DRM and HDTV etc?

My understanding is that cards created before the broadcast flag is mandated will ignore the flag.