NextPVR Forums

Full Version: flow diagram - request
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I suspect I am not alone - but I get really confused about the role and sequence of all the things we talk about.

We have muxs, filters, renderers, decoders, etc. etc. for both audio and video. Then we also have the modes Overlay, VRM7, VRM9 and now a VMR9 customs or something?

For someone who is 'in the know' on such things - I would love to see a flow diagram of how it all fits together from broadcast to output.

I believe placed on the wiki this could be a real benefit many users - particularly new ones.
I'll slowly chip away at this question.

Below is the usual graph when playing an MPEG2 file, which is usually where people get problems with video decoders etc. The demultiplexer is reponsible for spliting the MPEG program stream in to separate audio and video streams for sending to their respective decoder, which in turn decode the stream and forward the response to renderers for presentation.
When you look in gbpvr.exe-native.log, you'll see a list of these directshow components that were you used:

Quote:05:32:06.500 VERBOSE Graph contains the following filters:
05:32:06.500 VERBOSE - Default DirectSound Device
05:32:06.500 VERBOSE - Video Renderer
05:32:06.500 VERBOSE - Mpeg2Dec Filter
05:32:06.500 VERBOSE - Nero Digital Audio Decoder
05:32:06.500 VERBOSE - MPEG-2 Demultiplexer
05:32:06.500 VERBOSE - c:\MyVideos\large\TV 2_20060220113000.mpg

Some special directshow components like ffdshow etc can cause your machine to use slightly different graphs.
sub Wrote:I'll slowly chip away at this question.

Perhaps in your spare time Rolleyes
Quote:I believe placed on the wiki this could be a real benefit many users - particularly new ones.

Agreed, I'm ony just getting a working understanding after a couple of years mucking around with this stuff. A breakdown like this would be worth it's weight in gold for everyone.
This has helped me out already. By comparing and changing filters two similar machines I was able to get the judder out of live preview on one of them.
Thanks!
I will be adding some info at some stage, but I'm a bit busy with other stuff at the moment.