NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Need help with Gigabyte 6600 and TV Out (Component)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hopefully some one out there has a Gigabyte 6600 hooked up to an HDTV that can help me with an issue I am having. First of all, I used the supplied breakout pod to hook up the HDTV to the 6600 using component cables. I then inserted the new video card, turned on the power to the TV, and rebooted my system. At power up the VGA display was on both my monitor and the TV (although the TV was only grey shades).

I then installed the drivers and rebooted. At power up, a wizard ran that asked what mode my dual monitors should run in (clone, shared, or independent). I selected independent so that I could set up separate display resolutions for each. It then asked about the resolution of my monitor, which I set, and after changing the resolution on the monitor, I lost the display on the HDTV (grey background only). It did not ask about setting the resolution on the HDTV, and one of the dialog boxes said it was connected in S-Video mode, not component video. Also, when I try to adjust the display settings for the 2nd display (HDTV), I do not get the higher resolution choices associated with 1080i or 720p. The highest resolution available is 1024x768.

Has anyone here been able to get a 6600 card with the breakout cable to work with component video (1080i or 720p)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Terry
Try a search for this topic. I found that the 8x.xx series does not work for component. Try the 78.01, that worked for me.
ddrawley Wrote:Try a search for this topic. I found that the 8x.xx series does not work for component. Try the 78.01, that worked for me.

Thanks, I will give the 78.01 drivers a try tonight. Who would have thought that the NEW drivers would not support component!
It baffled me too. I found the information on another HTPC forum.
ddrawley Wrote:It baffled me too. I found the information on another HTPC forum.

You really had my hopes up. I just installed the older drivers (after reimaging back to a pre-Nvidia image), rebooted, and it once again started to run the Nvidia Display Setup Wizard. After selecting the resolution for my monitor, the next screen still said that the TV Connect type was S-Video. I have not been able to find any place that allows you to set the connection type for the TV - I'm assuming it is auto-detected.

Any other suggestions?
I'm using component-out on my 6600GT to a PAL SDTV successfully, using driver 81.98, and also the most recent beta 84.12.

When the PC rebooted after installing the driver, the TV setup wizard automatically started and I selected "component" and in my instance I selected "576i" for my PAL SDTV. It then prompted for clone or twinview or something else, and I selected clone mode, and the wizard completed and all works fine.

I actually took it one step further and manually made the TV to be the primary display and disabled the monitor because DXVA only works on a single display.
csy Wrote:I'm using component-out on my 6600GT to a PAL SDTV successfully, using driver 81.98, and also the most recent beta 84.12.

When the PC rebooted after installing the driver, the TV setup wizard automatically started and I selected "component" and in my instance I selected "576i" for my PAL SDTV. It then prompted for clone or twinview or something else, and I selected clone mode, and the wizard completed and all works fine.

I actually took it one step further and manually made the TV to be the primary display and disabled the monitor because DXVA only works on a single display.

For some reason, it is not giving me a chance to modify any parameters for the HDTV. It defaults to S-Video. Did you have to make it the primary display before you could make the changes? Did you have the TV on when you first ran the wizard?
Yes, I did have the monitor on, and the TV wizard auto-launched on boot-up and the wizard page showed that it had auto-detected component device, but i had the option to change that if I wished. This was all before changing the primary display.

you should be able to set this manually. Launch the Nvidia control panel, and select the "nView Display Settings", then highlight the HDTV icon and click on the "Device Settings" button below it. This should expose a drop-down menu and highlight "Select TV Format" which exposes another drop-down menu with many dispay options and select "Advanced" at the bottom of that menu. This will open the TV settings page where you can manually force the required settings.
csy Wrote:Yes, I did have the monitor on, and the TV wizard auto-launched on boot-up and the wizard page showed that it had auto-detected component device, but i had the option to change that if I wished. This was all before changing the primary display.

you should be able to set this manually. Launch the Nvidia control panel, and select the "nView Display Settings", then highlight the HDTV icon and click on the "Device Settings" button below it. This should expose a drop-down menu and highlight "Select TV Format" which exposes another drop-down menu with many dispay options and select "Advanced" at the bottom of that menu. This will open the TV settings page where you can manually force the required settings.

CSY,
Thanks so much for your help. I tried the beta drivers you mentioned and guess what? Everything now works as you described.
I am glad to see they fixed this in the 8x.xx drivers. It didn't work for me with the drivers available at the time. I didn't think to make sure you had the TV connected and on. Plug and Pray Smile
Pages: 1 2