NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Noob Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

I would like to use GB-PVR to play my mp3's and dvd's only on my tv, i.e. no tv recording etc. With this in mind, some questions:

1 - Is the video card critical? I have an nVidia GeForce MX440 AGP. Is this card ok? Should I go for a better video card and if so, which one?

2 - I want to rip my dvd's to my hard-drive. What format should I rip them to for GB-PVR to be able to play them back. Iso or any other format?

Thanks
Mike
Why would you want to use GBPVR for that. I think a decent software-mediaplayer would be much easier.
MikeBetz Wrote:Hi All,

I would like to use GB-PVR to play my mp3's and dvd's only on my tv, i.e. no tv recording etc. With this in mind, some questions:

1 - Is the video card critical? I have an nVidia GeForce MX440 AGP. Is this card ok? Should I go for a better video card and if so, which one?
Try first. If you don't like it, get another one (sorry, can't tell you which one, I don't have enough experience with that)

Quote:2 - I want to rip my dvd's to my hard-drive. What format should I rip them to for GB-PVR to be able to play them back. Iso or any other format?
mpg2/xvid/divx works with gbpvr. I don't know about iso. Maybe someone else does? It could work, but I have never tried.
HtV Wrote:Why would you want to use GBPVR for that. I think a decent software-mediaplayer would be much easier.
Because GBPVR is cool and has a nice GUI Big Grin
stefan Wrote:Because GBPVR is cool and has a nice GUI Big Grin
Very true, but it was never intended to play dvd's, iron your shirts or mow the lawnBig Grin
But if it did, it would iron and mow ever-so-neatly Smile
Amen to Stefan - GB-PVR does look cool. And HtV, looking at the plug-ins available, mowing the lawn is not there, but I am sure somebody is working on that one as well.

TTFN
Mike
Probably easier to find a lawnmower that plays dvd and mp3Big Grin
No-kidding.
I think if tou have videolibraryplugin and make a iso-image of the dvd with dvd-decryptor, mount that image with daemon-tools, you can play the dvd in GBPVR. I am not sure how the menu's would behave!!??
Succes
stefan Wrote:But if it did, it would iron and mow ever-so-neatly Smile
hmm... maybe we can hook up a lawn-mower up to the parallel or serial port... then order some maxime ICs (samples for free! yay) putting together a nice control-unit (driving every wheel autonomous)... put a wireless webcam on it, write a plugin and we can mowe the lawn controlled by the 45 button remote control...

(quoting garth (wayne's world)): It's almost too easy!