NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Cable TV in the UK
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Folks,

I apologise if this question has been asked before but I have found the volume of info on these boards to be high. I am a total newbie to the pvr world but I have a dream……….

I wish to have the ability to pause/time shift my ntl cable tv without having a pc in my living room. The spec of the pc will be very good but im not sure how to connect my cable signal to it. I would appreciate any help that you can give.
Heyas!
Im in London and I also have NTL.

I was trying to get something like SKY+ but couldnt so I decided to build myself an Entertainement Center.

I dont quite get what you are talking when you say you dont want a pc in your living room though... How are you planning on watching your movies then?

Let me give you what I am planning to do:

Bought an Xbox cheap on ebay and modded it to run linux. Now I was going to install MythTV on it but its too much trouble. So all just make it run Freevo and access shared files from my PC

My PC is being modded into a slimline nice looking case to fit under my tv. My graphics card has tv out so it goes straight into the AV Socket. Then I plug in my Plextor px-tv402U and using the remote, the hardware encoding straight to Divx and GB PVR I can have a full timeshift tv with recording capabilities and I can watch it on the xbox (which is now on my bedroom).

Technically you could do all of that simply by making sure you could use the remote on your living room while having your pc somewhere else. I dont know about other remotes but the plextor one comes with an usb receiver so you could plug it using active USB extension cables to boost the signal over to the living room (note that USB shouldnt be longer than 3m unless you using special cables and booster devices).

Does this help at all?
Yours Truly
BW
If you have another place in the house where you can run your tv feed to, you can put your computer at that place, and then run TCP/IP to your living room and install an MVP there. GBPVR will run on the MVP just fine.