NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Multiple MVP users
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Does anyone have experience with multipe MVP users on one server for video replay ?

I want to know how many users can be supported with a different specs of server.

Also can there be multiple access to the same video file ?
I've got 2 MVP's running on an XP2200 with 512Mb ram, works great.

I've watched the same recording thats playing on an MVP on the server, never tried watching the same file on both MVP's at the same time.
Have 2 MVPs, tried watching the same recording on both MVPs and at the PVR server, works fine.
I have 3 MVP running fine. Never watched the same show on more than one at a time but have had all 3 watching different shows at one time.
I would have at least 512MB RAM.
I have 4 MVPs on a 2.4Ghz Pentium with 1GB Ram. I can watch 3 XVID at the same time (if I start the fourth they all catch up to the transcoding eventually and stop).

I can watch the same or differnet mpeg at the same time with minimal CPU usage.
Yeah, watching multiple AVI files at the same time would be the worst thing you could do with mulitple MVPs. I really recommend sticking with MPEG-2 if at all possible.
I MUCH prefer the mpgs and do stick to them, but I had some AVIs and just had to know how it would do. I think it was quite reasonable, but there are only 2 of us and 4 TVs so shouldnt even need all 4 doing anything at the same time.

Awesome product Sub.
I am new to GBPVR (just downloaded it Tuesday and was so impressed that I sent my first contribution today).

Anyway, I have been able to track down a few of the $40 MediaMVPs at local Radio Shacks and am in the process of buying them. Now I want to be sure that I am not going (too far) overboard.

Just to confirm, if I have a dedicated GBPVR machine (say P4 3GHz, 1 GB RAM, 200GB HDD and 3 WinTV encoders) and 3 MediaMVPs hooked up to 3 different TVs, will I be able to watch either live or recorded shows on each of the MVPs at the same time. Unlkely that i would use more than 2 at once, but I wasn't sure if everyone had to be watching the same show, or if the MVPs worked independently and could display different shows at once.

Also, what do you guys think of the bringhtness output issue I have read about.

Thanks in advance.
I have 2 MVPs running with no problems. Your system is almost overkill for this application. You should be in good shape. We can watch 2 recorded shows or one live and one recorded. (I only have one PVR150 mce) You can watch as many different live shows that you have tuners for. The brightness issue is a little strange but can be managed by modding the direct.ini file. You really have to play with the settings to find what works best for the TV you are watching it on. It is not much work and is part of the fun I have playing with GBPVR. At this point, I get kind of bored since the system is so stable! For most shows, the picture looks great. Once in a while the contrast looks a little soft but it does not really bother me or my wife. All in all, the WAF is very high. Comskip makes it even better! Jump in and have fun!
soccerdad Wrote:The brightness issue is a little strange but can be managed by modding the direct.ini file.
Just to clarify, this doesn't actually do anything to the MVP, it just changes the brightness value of the captured file so when you play it back, it might look better.

I use DVB-T cards, all that gbpvr does is save the digital broadcast stream during recording thus the brightness setting in direct.ini does nothing whatsoever.

Then during playback, the mpg file is sent to the MVP, it isn't post processed in any way thus the setting in direct.ini has no relevance.

So it just depends on how the capture is being performed as to the relevance of this setting and even then, the file will be wrong for playback on other device no doubt.

David.
Pages: 1 2