NextPVR Forums

Full Version: What to buy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I'm looking to start I doing some PVR, I think. Basically, what I want to do is be able to watch TV on my computer, record programs, and burn them to a DVD. I currently have a TV Tuner (or capture?!?) card in my computer. On it it says TVision 5V TVF6631-MFF. I think its a 3D Vision CCD-MX-TV FMTV Tuner. I'm not having good luck getting this to work with GBPVR, and since its a pretty old card, that doesn't surprise me.

What I want to know, is will this card work? Asumming not, what's the best thing for me to buy? Will a Hauppauge! WinTV-GO PCI Card like the 190 or 1033 work? Or is the WinTV-PVR150/200/500, etc... really a better option. What's the difference?

I'm looking to not spend too much money (I'm a broke college student) but I know this will cost a bit, and I'm OK with that.

Also, if it helps, I'm running an AMD Athlon 1800+ with 512MB DDR Ram.

TIA!
Get either a Hauppauge PVR150 or ATI 550 Pro.

If you're in the US, here was a good deal on a PVR150 posted by another user yesterday: http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=15151
The 150 is probably the best option. It has hardware encoding whish means it won't put any strain on your pc at all. My old 1200 athlon played back standard tv and recorded just fine. Burning to DVD took a while, but , it's still not really speedy with my athlon 64.

If you look around you may be able to get a 150 card for around 60 bucks after rebates. I'm assuming you're in the US, and are looking to record standard def cable.

Of course, once you start down the PVR pathway the money just starts to flow....
Oh well, sub beat me to it again..