NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Files required for MVP use with GBPVR
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, I've been reading and I feel like I've read the answer to my question a couple of months ago, but now I can't find it anywhere. Here's what I've done: I did a install for the first time of GBPVR on a P4. Setup GBPVR and configured it like I wanted. This computer is in my office. I hooked up a MediaMVP in my living room (Cat5e connection) and turned it on and everything worked great. I'm on a home network with a dedicated Linksys router (computer and MVP both plugged into same switch on router). I am using a pvr500 card for recording. So then I wanted to watch tv on my desktop without taking over the whole screen so I installed WinTV2000 so I could just have a little tv in the corner. Everything with the MVP still working fine. A couple of days later, I have to reboot my computer for the first time since installing everything and after that I haven't been able to get my MVP to connect to my computer. I have tried unpluggin it for 24 hours. It detects the ethernet connection, sometimes stalls out looking for MediaMVP BootServer, sometimes stalls out loading Application. I feel like I either have 2 things running when only one should be or something should be running that isn't. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
There is a way to watch GBPVR in window mode without using the WinTV2000. On the first screen of config, put a check next to window mode.

As for the MVP, try to unplug and plug the MVP power to reload the dongle.bin.

Also read the previous post, http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=14883 which might apply to your situation.

Dan L.
Thanks, I'll work through the suggestions in the thread tonight. Which version of dongle.bin is the recommended one right now. I have the latest version of GBPVR. (I'm not sure how to find out what version of the MVP I have.)
.....sounds like you might not have the GB-PVR MVP server set to load on boot-up. Start the GB-PVR setup, click on the MVP tab, and make sure the number of servers to start at boot-up isn't still at the default setting (0)..... or manually start it, then turn on the MVP.
I have it set to 1. When you say manually start it, do you mean run the MediaMVP client software program? What happens if I have it set to 1 and I accidently click on the program?
Remember you have to stop the Haupauge MVP services for GBPVR to load correctly. Actully, you do not even have to have any Haupauge software on your PC for the MVP to work. Just use the dongle that ships with GBPVR. Only try the experimental version after you have a rock stable system.
For some reason it is working now. Here's what I did: I had GBPVR's MediaMVP Service running. I plugged in the MediaMVP. It got to loading and then just kept saying Loading Application and never did anything else. I went ito the Services menu from the control panel and started and then stopped the Hauppauge mvpmediasvc service. I unplugged the MediaMVP and then plugged it back in. It got to Starting Application, paused and went to contacting server, and timed-out. I unplugged the MediaMVP and restarted it. It then loaded fully.

I feel like I just tried and different things and eventually something worked. I still feel like something should be loading that's not or two things are loading when something shouldn't be. Anyone have any guesses what might be the key steo in that process I described that actually fixed things?

I've been reading about the doingle.bin not loading correctly and so I wonder if that's my problem as well. Any thoughts out there from those more experienced than me?
So I also enabled Window Mode, but is there a way to resize the window so that it only takes up a little of my screen. I want to watch tv in the corner of my monitor, and still surf, read email, etc in the rest of the monitor.
For the MVP to work you need to have a DHCP running to give the MVP an IP address (or something like that). The Haupauge MVP software can do this but GBPVR can not. I think I remember reading that people have got their system running by starting on the Haupauge software (so it gives the MVP an IP address)and then stopping the service and starting GBPVR. That may be what you are doing without knowing it. You really need DHCP and the MVP will work like it should. Is your router set up for DHCP? If not, it needs to be or you have to run some other system to get the MVP an IP address.

If that is not it, it still sounds like you may have one of the Haupauge services running. I think there are two of them you have to disable (set to start manually, not automatically). I do not even have the MVP software installed.

I don't think it is a dongle problem.

For basic TV watching with a small window on the monitor, I just use the WinTV 2000.
I have located two services: MVPMedia and MVPMediaSvc. I have set both to manual. I have a router that handles all my DHCP duties. As far as I can tell the MVP is getting an address just fine. It's stalling out when it gets to the loading application screen. I thought the application being loaded was dongle.bin and so that's why I think that's the problem.

I now use WinTV2000 to watch tv on a small window as well. Does anyone know the best way to unistall the MediaMVP files without affecting GBPVR or WinTV2000?
Pages: 1 2