NextPVR Forums

Full Version: MVP Wake On LAN support?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I did a search and couldn't find anything recent on this..

In short, can the MVP be made (through dongle modification or whatever) to send a WOL Magic Packet request to wake up my PC running GBPVR?

Thanks in advance! Smile
Simon.
Not at this stage.
sub Wrote:Not at this stage.
D'oh.. Smile That's a real shame..

Do you know what the first thing that the PVR broadcasts is, when you turn it on from standby? Does it make a request to the server by specific IP address, or does it broadcast across the whole subnet and wait for a reply?

Thanks for the advice..
S :: bluemagician
Quote:Do you know what the first thing that the PVR broadcasts is, when you turn it on from standby
I assume you mean the MVP? The MVP sends a UDP broadcast to locate any MVP servers.
maybe something like this could be used in tandem with your MVPs remote? its a remote control receiver with a wol connector...
ricklous Wrote:maybe something like this could be used in tandem with your MVPs remote? its a remote control receiver with a wol connector...

For a moment then I thought you had the (or at least a) answer. That device though seems to connect to the motherboard WOL connector. The RJ45 port on the back is for connection to the PCs serial port (through an adapter cable). Unless your server PC is in line of sight.....

Your idea of a seperate device to send a magic packet is an interesting one though, maybe someone has thought of it and built something.
Yeah, i thought it might not be quite there - almost though lol. depends on your setup i suppose. I thought if you had already had a cable run from your mvp to your PC you could run that gadgets cable the same route but i havnt got a MVP so shooting ideas out blind as it were...

I did find a d-i-y website that had built an IR receiver circuitboard that * i think * fed off the power from the RJ45 port and tickled the main power switch when it received a signal, so sort of like a 'resume from off' without needing an actual magic packet/network cable at all.

Maybe one of those IR extenders is whats needed in combo with the ira thingie. but then its just becoming a bit of a tangle isnt it.