NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Widescreen mode?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi guys. i've recently reinstalled my WinTV USB2 PVR and GBPVR, and everything is working grand except that the shows come through in chopped off widescreen mode. That is - it looks like it's taping on widescreen mode, but only showing me the center square.

I see that there is an aspect ratio dropdown on the MVP tab, but it's greyed out (does this mean that this is controlled by my WinTV?)

does anyone out there know what i can do, either through GBPVR or WinTV to correct the taping so it comes in as full screen such as when cable goes directly to my regular sized tv.

thanks
c
help?
It's how it works. You're correct the recordings are in 16:9 except that the MVP automatically scales the video to fill the screen of a 4:3 screen so you see the centre of a 16:9 and it also seems to be quite conservative and chops the top and bottom off slightly.

It's just how it is, we have to live with this one as it has been discussed elsewhere.

David.
I'm not all that familiar with the usb2, I have the pvr 150 card...but I seem to remember somewhere being able to set the resolution the card writes mpg files at. maybe a utility can be found at shspvr.com that will allow you to tweak the usb2.

Alternatively, I suppose if its really bothering you, you could transcode your mpg files to the proper resolution/aspect ratio before/while watching them.
Don't know if this will help, but I found some info on another post: Try this link and see if the info helps. It's called MVPrecode
http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=13877
You can set you MVP to be in 16:9 or 4:3 mode....it is defaulted to 4:3. The only way that I am aware that you can change the MVP screen setting (at this time) is to use the native MVP software that came with the MVP.

You have to stop the GBPVR service, install the native MVP software on your PC.

Then unplug the power from your MVP....then plug it back in....it will find the native MVP software and load it up....then you can go into the config and set the screen ratio.

Then.....stop the two native MVP services that are running and restart the GBPVR service.

Just tune the MVP off and then on with the remote (do not unplugg)....and then you should be in widescreen mode.

It just that easy! Wink
UncleJohnsBand Wrote:You can set you MVP to be in 16:9 or 4:3 mode....it is defaulted to 4:3. It just that easy! Wink

Not quite, that works fine if you have a TV that correctly displays a 16:9 mode but what is required on some TV's is letterboxing and when you set the 16:9 mode on a 4:3 TV that doesn't support it, is a vertically stretched picture oh and the menus look cack. Smile

The MVP really does need this 3rd option of letterbox mode on a 4:3 TV but it's not there so if the TV doesn't support it, the only way is to either live with it or transcode prior to watching it. For me it's just not worth the hassle.

David.
Quote:The MVP really does need this 3rd option of letterbox mode on a 4:3 TV but it's not there so if the TV doesn't support it, the only way is to either live with it or transcode prior to watching it. For me it's just not worth the hassle.
Yes, this is a big limitation with the MVP, but not something I can change.
I have one MVP on a 16 x 9 tele, and the other on a 4 x 3 portable tele.
I used the Hauppauge MVP software to reset the one on the 16 x 9 tele to widescreen mode and left the other as default. All of my recordings are in widescreen (UK DVB). On the widescreen tele they come out correctly, on the 4 x 3 tele they come out with cropped sides. I could set them both to widescreen mode but then the aspect ratio would be wrong on the 4x3 tele.
Just set the MVP to suit the aspect ratio of your tele.