NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Big screen advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have just finished installing GBPVR onto a friend's system and am concerned with the poor quality of the still picture display. He has a brand new 50" LCD back projection TV which is very nice except when the still images are stretched to fill the screen. There are very obvious signs that there are not enough pixels to fill the screen! (Maybe I'll keep my 32" glass bottle screen!).

I know many of you have large panels so will have figured out how to fix this problem. Do we have to restrict the pic size to somewhat less than full screen or something?

TIA for some insights.
Can't believe this has stumped such an erudite crew! Even info that you have not got the problem would be of interest. Sorry if I sound pushy but I would like some guidance if possible. Perhaps everyone is away for Easter! As always, TIA.
Do you mean the menus or still video?

Also, is this via an MVP?
Sorry, I fell into the trap of knowing what I meant! Still pictures from 'Picture Library' via an MVP on 100Mb ethernet cable.

The display has discernible vertical light short lines scattered throughout. These lines are similarly coloured to the piece displayed around them so it is not horrific but noticeable, nonetheless. It is not pixellated as such, just looks as if it is struggling to fill the screen with enough pixels! Just gave me the feeling that I am sure it would look much smoother in a smaller frame!
Sorry, I cant really help with this one. I've never tried the Picture Library plugin.
on my 47" rear projection, pics in my pics look perfect. just depending on their original resolution, anything over 640x480 looks good.

also it depends on the tv out of you gfx card, im using component output which improves the picture. svideo or composite isnt that great.

edit:didnt notice this was in the mvp forumSmile
I encountered a similar problem with a widescreen tv while using a dvd player to display jpegs on a disc.

Most if not all widescreen tv's have a function that lets you "un-widescreen", i.e. display the image in a square rather than the full screen. Maybe this will help your problem.
I'd say if your image is actually being stretched then that is the root of your problem. Plus, isn't the resolution of an MVP restricted to 720x480 (or some other similarly small resolution)? Imagine stretching such a small resolution to 50" inches. Again, the issue is readily apparent.
Yes, it gives the impression of being stretched too far! Too few dots, too much screen.

But, what do others do about this? It is not really practical to alter the TV's settings all the time.
I still cant quite picture what you're describing.

As pointed out above, the MVP will only output regular PAL 720x576. The tv will then be stretching it to fill the screen. Do you see the whole GB-PVR menu, or is some of it cut off?
Pages: 1 2