NextPVR Forums

Full Version: A MVP killer ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
ADS has released the "ADS Media Link Home Media Server" for about
the same price as the Hauppauge MVP. It also includes a wireless
interface.

The ADS box seems a lot better than the MVP, as it supports
component video and DVI.

It also supports an extensive list of codecs:
MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, Xvid, MOV, Compressed AVI,
MPEG Audio layer 1 & 2, MP3, OGG, AC3, WMA,
JPEG, BMP, GIF, animated GIF, PNG.

See:

http://www.adstech.com/products/MXL-581/...id=MXL-581

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/S...87&CatId=0

... will GBPVR eventually support this product ?

Thanks!

Bye!
This device is actually much more than an MVP. At least the current version. I was able to get an MVP for Less then $50usd. Even the full retail was about $99. This product is $179. I have no idea how much the new wireless MVP is but I would guess its no more expensive.
shuot Wrote:ADS has released the "ADS Media Link Home Media Server" for about
the same price as the Hauppauge MVP. It also includes a wireless
interface.

The ADS box seems a lot better than the MVP, as it supports
component video and DVI.

This device uses the "UPnP A/V" standard, which is not supported by GBPVR. The MVP uses an entirely different protocol. I use the D-link DSM-320 which is also based on UPnP A/V. These products require the use of a UPnP A/V server software, which usually comes with the hardware. I use TVersity, which is a third party UPnP server. TVersity is still in beta but already has far more features than any of the manufacturer provided server software.

So, I use GBPVR as a very capable recording system. TVersity connects to my GBPVR recording folder via network share and makes all my recordings available through my entertainment system via the DSM-320. Two different software packages doing what they do best. It works great!
Quote:http://www.adstech.com/products/MXL-...sp?pid=MXL-581

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...009787&CatId=0

To be honest, probably not unless the manufacturer sends me a sample, and is able to provide technical information about getting the user interface onto this box (unlikely).
Quote:This device uses the "UPnP A/V" standard, which is not supported by GBPVR. The MVP uses an entirely different protocol. I use the D-link DSM-320 which is also based on UPnP A/V. These products require the use of a UPnP A/V server software, which usually comes with the hardware. I use TVersity, which is a third party UPnP server. TVersity is still in beta but already has far more features than any of the manufacturer provided server software.
I'm not really too concerned about the protocol used to talk to the device. I have had GB-PVR acting as a UPnP server in the past, but decided against making the feature available because without the user interface it sucks, and the user might as well just use on of the dozens of UPnP servers available (like TVersity).

The real feature of interest when deciding if I'd implement support for a device like this, is whether it is possible to show the GB-PVR user interface on the device.
One of the key benefits of the MediaMVP is that you can load the GBPVR dongle & therefore the GBPVR interface onto the screen. I don't know if this would be possible with this system, in fact, I couldn't even find what OS their interface is based on (I think the MVP runs off Linux).
sub Wrote:The real feature of interest when deciding if I'd implement support for a device like this, is whether it is possible to show the GB-PVR user interface on the device.

I haven't looked at this in detail, but understand that the UPnP A/V spec provides for a "Remote UI" protocol extension, which could probably be used to place the GBPVR interface on the UPnP A/V renderer (the DSM-320, ADS, etc.).

I am not aware of any devices that support Remote UI at this time.
I'm also not aware of any devices that support Remote UI. I doubt this feature will ever be retro-fitted to existing devices (DSM-320 etc).
xvid/divx support is perhaps worth considering a setup like David's. But it doesn't solve the CPU waste of converting MPEG captured video into xvid or other formats.

I would be more interested in a manufacturer's product that could simply move media transcoding to a separate dedicated device, perhaps via USB or PCI. There are, for example, hardware SSL/encryption cards that let you offload those functions from the CPU, for example a web server that gets heavy https traffic.

Clearly, the ADS device is transcoding media into some final format for ultimate display. If they would sell a $100 device that converts media from one format to another (w/o any circuitry for display) , I'd buy one for sure.

Think of the bind we're in with hauppage mpeg equipment. We spend CPU converting to xvid, then spend CPU converting it back for display. Do we eventually spend $$ to replace capture cards and mvp's when someone comes out with xvid capture and xvid display? Seems to me a hardware transcoding solution would greatly extend the life of hardware we already have...the disk space to deal with temporary mpeg files is cheap and financially irrelevant.
I don't transcode to xvid/divx. I keep the mpg file that my PVR 250 generates. I cut the commercials using comskip/comclean and play on the DSM-320.

I do have a MediaMVP, but have not really made use of it other than scheduling recordings (which I more typically do through the web admin). I had the DSM-320 before I discovered GBPVR and how well it works with my 250.

I have my ATSC 110 working with GBPVR, but the digital side is not perfect yet. Getting there. The DSM chokes on the higher bitrate shows, so I probably need a way to detect that bitrate and recode to a lower rate. I'm not happy with the idea though, since I was excited about the nice digital video in the first place. That would be the only transcoding I want to do, but selectively if at all.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5