NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Wireless MVP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
OK - So have seen these for sale and have no experience with wireless networks.

I have 2 PC's on a wired network - with the PCs & DSL modem / router plugged into an 8 port switch.

I want to know if I get a wireless MVP - what do I need at the PC end to allow the MVP to access my content?
ie. Can I run the ethernet connection for my DSL / other PC and run another network using wireless? (and have everything still talking happily to each other)

Would this just require a PCI WiFi card?

54Mbs is heaps of bandwidth to play even the biggest MPGs?
Also, does the MVP support all MPES or just those recorded with hauppage tuner?

Sub: Can you tell me anything about the new MVP? Was it easy to set up? Does it allow for SPDIF passthrough of AC3 sound?

Thanks Heaps
I dont think the new wireless MVP is for sale yet. Certainly not here in NZ at this stage.

Quote:Also, does the MVP support all MPES or just those recorded with hauppage tuner?
It should support all standard definition MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 files.

Quote:Does it allow for SPDIF passthrough of AC3 sound?
It has SPDIF, but this can only be used for stereo.
Thanks,

I found it a couple of retailers - maybe it's not available yet - the site below has it listed from 5 May. Price is $239.80 (excl GST, & $5 P&P within Wellington)
http://www.aquilatech.co.nz/productList....t=WIRELESS MEDIAMVP

Does GBPVR work just the same with the wireless as it does with wired connections (I like the wireless idea as my PC & gear is upstairs and I dont think the landlord would be keen on me drilling through his matai floors!)

I'm not so sure that I can have 2 x networks running off the same box - would it be easier to connect a wireless access point to my existing LAN switch?

Thanks
I expect its not available yet, but should be very soon.

Quote:Does GBPVR work just the same with the wireless as it does with wired connections (I like the wireless idea as my PC & gear is upstairs and I dont think the landlord would be keen on me drilling through his matai floors!)
No. Currently only wired version works with GB-PVR, but I am working on getting the wireless version working also.
I've had great success plugging a Linksys wireless access point into my wired Linksys router/switch, then plugging each of my MVP's (I have 3 of them set up this way) into a wireless bridge (sometimes refered to as a wireless game adapter). I have one such setup connected to a 20" Sharp Aquos LCD TV that I take outside onto my deck, into my yard, and onto a screen porch, and the MVP always finds the GBPVR server as soon as I plug it all in. By having a Hauppauge PVR-350 in my PC, GBPVR's "Live TV" function allows me to basically watch live cable TV anywhere I plug this setup into AC power, without the need for cable!
GBPVR is great, and miles ahead of the Hauppauge software.....
Excellent - thats what I wanted to hear. I thought it would be as simple as putting an access point onto my existing switch. Can anyone tell me what range I can expect with 11g wireless?

Also, do wireless networks "fall over" ie - lose their signal and drop packets or once it is setpu with a decent signal - does it usually stay the same until moved?

Thanks for your help.
JonnyCam Wrote:Can anyone tell me what range I can expect with 11g wireless?

Also, do wireless networks "fall over" ie - lose their signal and drop packets or once it is setpu with a decent signal - does it usually stay the same until moved?

Thanks for your help.
Range? Sure anywhere between a few metres and a many kilometres depending on antennas used and obstructions. Zero obstructions and a pair of 24dBi parabolic grid antennas and you can go into double figure kilometre numbers but with a listed building in the UK with walls of stone several feet thick or foil backed plasterboard and it could be just a room or neigbouring room.

The problem that you have with wireless is that the signal will degrade depending on location and thus we can't say what performance you'll get. The box says 54Mbps but that's the signalling rate, sort of how fast you can physically speak but that's not the same as the throughput (or how many words you can continuously speak). For a start it's half duplex so only one end can transmit at a time and when acknowledgement packets are required, that'll slow things down. Then consider that the data rate will drop back depending on RF surroundings and you could quickly end up just a few rooms away with a 1Mbps connection which will be insufficient for streaming broadcast MPG2 .

Welcome to wireless. Oh yeah and of course it's subject to interference from other 2.4GHz transmitters such as the cordless phones in the US, microwaves, video senders and your neighbours access points etc.

It's important to place the AP suitably, this is not a bung an access point somewhere in the house and expect a full strength signal all over the property.

David.
I want to join the wireless mediamvp bandwagon too.

A few questions.

What if I connect a wireless gaming adapter to a hub/switch that is connected to the server htpc and plug a wireless gaming adapter into a mediamvp, would this trick work? I don't want to buy another switch/router/hub

Any input?
Wireless routers are far cheaper, at least around here, than the gaming adapters are. I went to buy one for my main gbpvr machine since I can't run cat5 to it, and the game adapter was $69.95, while I could buy a new router for $50.00. Sometimes you can find a router that works in bridging mode as well, but I had no luck with that on that day, and ended up paying the extra 20 for the adapter.
Thanks. I'll stay wired in order to save moolah.
Pages: 1 2 3