NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Incredible difference: Nvidia versus ATI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I used to run my system with an Nvidia 6200 128 mb card. This was actually running quite OK untill recently I got extreme video stutter (skipping frames every few seconds or even pausing for a few seconds and then fast forwarding) whilst sound was always OK. This started after the last Microsoft update round which also massed up quite a number of other things as you might now....

I now swapped this card with my old ATI 7500 and video now works like a charm. I guess this again confirms what so many others have told before ATI is so much better when it comes to video and TV out. Even better I use the Nvidea purevideo codec which runs at a lower CPU useage with the old ATI card compared to the Nvidia itself.
Funny. I am pulling my last remaining hairs out trying to get a PCIe nVidia PCX5300 card to produce clean playback. I have about $150 credit with a local store I buy a lot from - maybe I'll switch to an ATI card too...

GGF
I have nvidia and no problems I swapped my last card which was an ati to the nvidia as it had proper vmr9.
Been running GBPVR for almost a year now - it works. Additionaly have two MVPS's - they work great too.

OTOH my PVR-150 card is producing a fuzzy/soft type of picture. So let's replace the ATI 7000 card with an GFX 5200 and use S-Video or better yet try DVI-I to component. S-Video to composite no-improvement, S-VIDEO direct no-improvement, DVI-I to component no-picture.

The GFX card had many, many picture adjustments which were tried many, many different ways no-picture improvement.

This is not intended to bash NVIDEA, just sharing my experience with a video card (upgrade???) that yielded no picture quality improvement at all.

Been thinking about reverting back to my old ATI 7000 (composite out) card,
I found the ATI Catalyst utility much more user friendly.

I will say I was very disappointed, was hoping the soft/fuzzy picture might be caused by the video card.

Granted the Hauppauge PVR-150 for many users produces a great picture, however having spent many hours reading different boards my problem is not unique.
So it is not just me having problems with Nvidia video cards.

I have a 6600GT and when using DXVA hardware acceleration suffer from jumpy scene movement when the camera pans (similiar to GoodGuys complaint).

However I have perfectly smooth video using an ATI 9550

I been detailing my problems in the last 4 pages of this thread:
http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=14763
Tipstir:
What decoders and renderers are you using?
What LiveTV deinterlacing are you using?
Are you using FFDshow postprocessing to perform your deinterlacing?
Are you using hardware acceleration on your video decoder?
Odd this. I went form a ATI 7000, to a Fx5200 then onto a 6200. I certainly got better performance (less jurking and lower CPU overhead-which is important to me-see my signiture) and better pictiure quality with the Fx5200.

I saw no improvement going from a 5200 to a 6200 but is sure ran alot cooler.

I use the lasest Nvidia drivers and their decoder.
Use my 5200 with no problems at all. Newest drivers though...
I started with an all in one g-force mx2-400 then moved to a radeon 7000 which worked fine for me.
I moved up to a 5200 because a friend had one & I wanted to play madden on the TV with better graphics.

Then I read about the component dongle & since my TV had component inputs & I had run out of inputs & an ati radeon 9550 was cheap I'm using that now.

I'd have to say that using s-video out I couldn't tell tell the difference between the nvidia & radeon 9550 card.

The g-force 2 had an ok picture. It was old though & It was a chore to get it to fit the screen correctly. The picture was decent. Better than a VCR.
The 7000 looked maybe not as good but nothing to complain about.

Moving to the component interface was a vast improvment.
I couldn't tell you though if it was the card & the interface or just the interface that made the difference.

Eitherway, I never had any graphical issues playing video back with any of the cards.
The PC was a 1.7ghz socket A & 512mb ram.

I recently had problems using the radeon 7000 in an older 750 mhz PC for playback only, (tearing) but I figured out that was because the MB was running the card in AGP1x mode.

I put the g-froce 2 mx in & that brought the AGP bus up to 2x & it seems to work ok.
I still have some encoder testing to do.
Where can I buy a component-dongle for my nVidia PCX5300? (Which is basically a PCIe version of the 5200)...

Thanks,

GGF
Pages: 1 2 3 4