NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Advice on hardware please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Heres my scenario:-

I have a 37inch lcd telly with both vga and the dvi thingy input.

I am building from scratch a sytem (on a budget)

i need a tv card (my present one is not supported)

I am plannin on using a via m10000 motherboard with 512mb ram and windows xp pro.

As i can connect telly straight to this board i would like a tv card with remote that will work with this software, now being a fairly big telly quality is important.

additionally i have the following questions:-

how many hours can be recorded per 100Gb?

will this m'board/ram be enough?

i have on my network a server running "yac" which sends cid to all pc's from my phone line to all pc's (and my squeezebox) on my network has anyone written a plug in so that cid info is bought up on the telly? http://sunflowerhead.com/software/yac/ i am not a software developer (hardware engineer--yes a real one i can still remember how to re-wire a corestore) but the source is avalible for this project and it would be a great addon...?yes?

any suggestions/advice would be great.
this is my first post on this forum so please be gentle with a newbieRolleyes
Quote:will this m'board/ram be enough?
Unfortunately the M10000 is a bit under powered for GB-PVR. Its effectively the equivalent of a celeron 600Mhz. The recommended minimum CPU for GB-PVR is a 1Ghz PIII class CPU.
I typod when i did the first search nice to see yac is supported....Smile
sub Wrote:Unfortunately the M10000 is a bit under powered for GB-PVR. Its effectively the equivalent of a celeron 600Mhz. The recommended minimum CPU for GB-PVR is a 1Ghz PIII class CPU.
cn you recommend a board with silent/fanless
cpu etc?
g7pkf Wrote:cn you recommend a board with silent/fanless
cpu etc?
This is the bane of HTPC. I've just made mine close to silent using advice from here. Well worth a look.

Also, you might want to consider a Hauppage MVP as with this you can have the PC the other side of the house from the TV! Search the web/forums/wiki for more info.

Oh, and welcome to GBPVR Big Grin
my telly unfortunately has only 1 scart socket i thought i would get a better quality pic by using the svga/dvi?(big connector from pc) am i correct in thinking this? also the pvr would be hidden in my "hardware" stack so noise is not such a problem.

quality is the thing for me.
I'm not a expert but there are many places that say for use with MythTV, etc, you might not want to use VIA chipset boards, they can be laggy for this use.

the Haupauge cards have a VIA chipset patch; not sure if it helps alot or if it doesn't ork around a shortcoming in the Hauppauge stuff; but I think the issues as reported are real; you can find them mentioned in several PVR-related forums.