NextPVR Forums

Full Version: TV Out card? How does it work?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, okay I've not used a TV out card with GBPVR so am a bit lost as to how it actually fits together, anyone care to help me out here?

Note I am not asking about the PVr350 (which I use at the moment) but normal video graphics cards

1. Any of them do MPEG2 decoding? ATI I get confused if they do or don't.

2. If not is the CPU usage quite high while playing back

3. Do they come with their own MPEG2 decoding software, or do you have to install some other software?

4. Is the TV out seperate from the desktop/monitor output, e.g. can I continue working on the desktop while playing on the TV output? Or are they linked, I see the desktop on the TV

5. Any of them produce good quality output?

Anything else I should be aware of? Thanks
I'll answer what I can.
1) No, but some have mpeg acceleration, which they can use if you have a decoder that supports that specific graphics card.
2) Depends on which decoder you use and what your specs is on your cpu =)
3) Usually you have to get the decoder somewhere else.
4) I think some of the cards have functionality to split things like that. But somehwere back in my head a warning bell tells me you might have to have win xp pro for that... but I might be wrong.
5) Define "good" Wink
I think most current video cards with TV out will let you use the TV out as a second monitor. Meaning you could extend your desktop to the TV just like you could hook up a second monitor and see more desktop space.

That said, it means if you set up your display properties correctly you could be using GBPVR on the TV out and do regular PC stuff on the Monitor. If your card supports two monitor's. Otherwise your going to get your desktop on the TV. On problem you might have is application focus. When your using your PC applications GBPVR wont have focus on the TV so remote command, for instance, may not get to GBPVR. Unless you set up your remote to control GBPVR all the time.
Hey Tipstir,

Do you use a vid card at all for output to TV? If so, which one? If it is an Nvidia card, does the card, itself support decoding?

Thanks
tipstir Wrote:I could use the S-Video and run a 50FT cable for S-Video but that expensive only Best Buy sells the cable Pro series.

You could try what I did (smaller run however at 15') and make an S-Video cable with cat 5 ethernet cable. I bought a cheap S-Video cable from a dollar store cut the connectors off and spliced them onto each end of the cat 5 cable. (Google for the proper connections)

Try the cable and see if it works, you won't be out too much money if it doesn't work as well as you would like. Remember to check the connectivity between the pins in the connectors at each end before using you could void the warrenty of the devices you are plugging it into if it wasn't done correctly...
Thanks everyone,

I just tried my 4400 MX tv out, I may have set it up wrong, but I would always get a full screen picture playback on it, but no OSD and no Menus. Even so, the playback looked stuttery and compared to the 350 output (or the MVP) it was less than ideal.

And the CPU was around 60%, I guess the PC will not be running VNC or recording too much during such playback.

I think I would prefer to stick with the 350/MVP options...but where does one get the MVP from now, UK seems out of stock
onestar Wrote:And the CPU was around 60%, I guess the PC will not be running VNC or recording too much during such playback
Recording should be fine. The card handles almost everything, hardly any strain is put on the CPU.