NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Has anyone tried using an AV transmitter for GBPVR?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, MVP is a great option if you want a independently functioning satellite.

But I have an A OR B situation and wondered if an AV transmitter might be a no brain option.

As opposed to the old RF transmitters this now operate in the 2.4GHz range and supposedly have a line of sight range of 100m. (sure you would never really get this but I only want 10 or 15)

Some even have remote 'blaster' type function where your remote signals are supposed to be relayed back to the source.

So has anyone tried these? Comments good or bad appreciated.
Yes I've tried these in many forms. In my house, I have found them to be totally and absolutely completely rubbish.
Big Grin Emphasised enough ?

Okay thick walls, useless
Microwave in the way, useless
Wireless network (2.4G too), you'll find a number of channels interfered with

A friend has used it too, but thinks its great. I've never had much luck, even when the tranmission was room above another room.
I used two Wavecom SR 2.4 Ghz for 5 years. I intentionally used a 900 MHz phone to avoid interference. I live in a condo and now most of my neighbors have 2.4 GHz phones and wireless networks. I've recently retired both Wavecoms due to interference from their equipment. Also, a running microwave oven broadcasts load noise at 2.4 GHz so picture/sound is bad on the TV in the kitchen for 90 seconds while cooking. Even the TV in the bedroom would be slightly affect during those 90 seconds.

They worked perfectly. The remote extender feature was terrific. I used two cheap OneForAll universal remote so a macro button would turn on/off the local TV and the VCR in the living room and change the channels remotely. The volume lock remote feature was used to make sure the mute and volume changes automatically went to the local TV. Since my DVD player was routed through the S-Video VCR, I could watch DVD's on the other TV's as long as the Wavecom's IR blaster was visible to the DVD's IR receiver as well.

On the plus side I now have a wireless network of my own and I could upgrade my phone if I wanted to.
Yep - been using these for a while now to send to the bedroom TV - mine works really well, but you do want to have them positioned "just so" - to allow for best reception.

I found that I get big line sof interference in the TV I sent any IR signal towards the TV (but it doesnt really matter, as I was changing the channel at the time anyway)

Sound & audio quality is the same as you would get from direct cable - as long as you dont get any intereference.

I know you can get some more expensive 5.8 Ghz units now - which may be better if you run RF remote, 2.4 GHZ cordless phone etc (or if you have a microwave in the line of sight) - this should get rid of any interference.
I've actually got a 5.8Ghz set, but the range is a bit crap compared to 2.4Ghz and it seems cut out quite often.
Forgot to mention - the remote sender works really well,
Mine is used to control my satellite box from the bedroom, but if you position the infrared "eye" carefully - it could control a few devices.

Pity to hear about the 5.4 ghz senders. What approx range do you get from them Sub? Also, is there interference? (when you do get the signal)

Thanks
Quote:Pity to hear about the 5.4 ghz senders. What approx range do you get from them Sub?
I'm trying to go about 15 meters, through a couple wood/plaster walls. 2.4Ghz had no problems with the same distance, but didnt like our DSS phones or microwave.

Quote:Also, is there interference?
I dont know - cant really tell. It seems to struggle to lock onto a signal. It seems to be a good signal or nothing.
sub Wrote:I'm trying to go about 15 meters, through a couple wood/plaster walls. 2.4Ghz had no problems with the same distance, but didnt like our DSS phones or microwave.
Maybe depends on the brand? I've been using a D-Link 5.8Ghz set up for a while. It works fine for me over a distance of about 20 yards (not sure about meters - here in the US we're still metrically challenged Smile ) through a wood/sheetrock wall and ceiling (with lots of insulation inside). Obviously zero wifi LAN/phone interference (just dont get a 5.8Ghz phone) and the IR repeater works very well.

Quote:It seems to struggle to lock onto a signal. It seems to be a good signal or nothing.
I like the 'binary' nature of the beast. Very little fiddling - either it works or it doesn't. And the picture is much better than my old 2.4Ghz set up (not to mention the 900Ghz one I started with).

Downside: low WAF ("I see there's yet another thingy and lots of wires next to the TV") Big Grin
Thanks all for the commnents.

What seemed like an easy expansion might just be more trouble than it is worth.

Funny all these comments about interference make me wonder just how effective the wireless MVP might be?

It might actually be less pain in the long run to get a wired MVP and make a good job of it.
With analogue like the video extenders noise and interference will look like noise on the picture. Wireless MVP's use error correction like most ethernet devices, so you get all or nothing depending on the amount of interference. I suppose if noise is bad but not too bad, you could get reduced frame rate as the data transfer rate falls.