NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Digital Newbie Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just made the big jump and got Time Warner's digital service. I am not getting any movie channels, but I am getting some of their second tier stuff like SPEED channel. I have searched the forum posts and are now more confused than ever:eek: Is there a card that I can buy to record the digital programs or do I have to use the STB as my tuner and input it into my PVR150? I see DVB-T and DVB-S but am not sure if that is what I need or if that is for High Definition (which I don't have). I also saw a post about something called Cablecard which I can get from Time warner for a good price, but I don't know if there are any cards that support it:confused:

As it stands now, I will have to string very long cables or move the STB to the PC and run off the MVP. I am a little concerned with this since this will slow down the surfing.

Any comments, including your favorite card ideas would be great.
With digital cable in the US your only option is to use the STB as the tuner, and connect the composite/svideo to your analog capture card.
I was afraid that was the answer. Thanks for the quick answer sub.
soccerdad Wrote:I see DVB-T and DVB-S but am not sure if that is what I need or if that is for High Definition (which I don't have).

Just to explain/clarify - DVB is the European (and perhaps asian/australian/nz?) standard for digital broadcasting. DVB-T part is for terrestrial, DVB-S is for satellite, and DVB-C is for cable.
stefan Wrote:Just to explain/clarify - DVB is the European (and perhaps asian/australian/nz?) standard for digital broadcasting. DVB-T part is for terrestrial, DVB-S is for satellite, and DVB-C is for cable.

Not strictly true dvb-s/c is sometimes used in North America see http://www.dvb.org/graphics/internal/Ado...ril_20.jpg
http://www.dvb.org/graphics/internal/Ado...ril_20.jpg
Yeah... ok, so it's North American standard, too Wink
sub Wrote:With digital cable in the US your only option is to use the STB as the tuner, and connect the composite/svideo to your analog capture card.

The twinhan dtv cab-ci card is capable of using a cablecard, would that be a possibilty in the US? Provided you could get the card shipped to you.
No, that is not possible.