NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Server recommendations - multiple clients
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to set up the following:
- 1 server
- 5 PC clients, with access to media stored on the server
- 3 (maybe more) MVP clients watching TV and video

I have no idea what a suitable spec for the server is. Can anyone help?

I will probably want around 5 DVB-T inputs in the server, so I'm currently looking at dual DVB-T cards (eg Cinergy 2400i DT, although they're PCI-E cards and that makes choice of motherbaord harder).

I'm happy building the server but I don't know what to put in it. Any and all suggestions welcomed!
one thing i do know is you'll need a gigabit network for the pc clients...MVP's can run on 100Mbit or even 10 but the networked pc clients need a gigabit connection for in-progress recordings..[timeshift,etc.] [both client and server]
already recorded programming is no problem for them on 10/100Mbit but watching while encode is still in progress requires alot of traffic [4x normal at least] from pc clients..
either that or you can record at lower rates, 2800k max for me on 100Mbit wired network...doubt the pc clients will work over wireless at full bitrates..[med. or high recording profiles]
it should work with any decent machine as server,[3ghz+] but more speed will make things zippier..Hyperthreading or dualcore i'd say is a must..
probably more practical speed info from one of the multi-card users here tho...Smile
[i only use 2 right now]
pBS Wrote:one thing i do know is you'll need a gigabit network for the pc clients...MVP's can run on 100Mbit or even 10 but the networked pc clients need a gigabit connection for in-progress recordings..[timeshift,etc.] [both client and server]
already recorded programming is no problem for them on 10/100Mbit but watching while encode is still in progress requires alot of traffic [4x normal at least] from pc clients..
either that or you can record at lower rates, 2800k max for me on 100Mbit wired network...doubt the pc clients will work over wireless at full bitrates..[med. or high recording profiles]
it should work with any decent machine as server,[3ghz+] but more speed will make things zippier..Hyperthreading or dualcore i'd say is a must..
probably more practical speed info from one of the multi-card users here tho...Smile
[i only use 2 right now]

At risk of sounding dumb (wouldn't be the first time!): Why does a in progress recording take more network bandwidth than a pre-recorded show? I thought the server handled the encoding, created a buffer file, and this "buffered mpeg" was streamed to the client, like a pre-recorded show...

Edit: I see you are running a networked pc client so obviously have experience of this where I don't - just trying to get my head around it...
pBS Wrote:one thing i do know is you'll need a gigabit network for the pc clients...MVP's can run on 100Mbit or even 10...

Gigabit ethernet is already installed, so thankfully that's a given.

Quote: but the networked pc clients need a gigabit connection for in-progress recordings..[timeshift,etc.] [both client and server]

Like elite I am a little confused by this so if you can explain this further I'd appreciate it.

Also, I wasn't aware that the PC clients would be able to watch TV with this setup - am I missing something?

Note that all the TV cards will be in the server. I do actually have aerial connections present at some PCs that I could use, but presumably I wouldn't be able to pool the tuners for recording if I did that.

Quote:either that or you can record at lower rates, 2800k max for me on 100Mbit wired network...doubt the pc clients will work over wireless at full bitrates..

There's no wireless so that's no problem. If I need to reduce rates I can do that (useful backup plan!) but ideally I'll design the system so I don't need to.

Quote:it should work with any decent machine as server,[3ghz+] but more speed will make things zippier..Hyperthreading or dualcore i'd say is a must..

Any CPU recommendations? AMD or Intel best for this?

Thanks for the help!
Quote:but the networked pc clients need a gigabit connection for in-progress recordings..[timeshift,etc.] [both client and server]

Now why whould that be? I have been playing around with a gbpvr install on a client machine, and when watching live TV my network utilization rarely spikes above 5%..... (on a 100 mb connection). Granted it is more traffic than what the MVP requires, but it hardly requires gigabit...
If anything, you might be pushing 100MB network if all clients are using the server.. but I think your fine... I would suggest you multihome your server and run the MVP's on a seperate subnet...
but I would get as much IO power on your disk as possible... probally a striped Raid... so your system isnt losing time finding the data to stream to your clients...
OK, I think gigabit network can be assumed (its not exactly a high cost extra).

For the server I'm currently looking at this which ships with a D820 (2.8GHz Dual Core) CPU, and 1GB RAM. I know that 3GHz was suggested but thats the highest available in this model (they're nice boxes that we've used for other things) - is that going to be a big deal or should I think again?

I'll add 4x250GB SATA drives to it (RAID-0) and up it to at least 2GB RAM.

Feel free to tell me I'm being far too optimistic and I need to spend more cash...
My setup is not so different from what you want and the CPU is "only" a 2 ghz Athlon XP which dealing with the load quite easily (even my ftp server, skype and mailserver are on this box). My network is 100 mbit and partially wireless without problems. So I think yr dual core 2.8 ghz P4 should get along perfectly with the load.