NextPVR Forums

Full Version: PVR 500 Vs PVR 250 Upgrading what would you do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am thinking about upgrading to a PVR 500 MCE. I currently have a PVR 250 MCE and it is working fine. I guess I have 2 questions.
Will I notice a difference in quality between a PVR 500 and a PVR 250?
Does anyone know of any issues with the PVR 500 MCE on windows XP?

Thanks for the help.
caesar25e Wrote:I am thinking about upgrading to a PVR 500 MCE. I currently have a PVR 250 MCE and it is working fine. I guess I have 2 questions.
Will I notice a difference in quality between a PVR 500 and a PVR 250?
Does anyone know of any issues with the PVR 500 MCE on windows XP?

Thanks for the help.
I jumped from the 350 to the 500 and can't seen any difference. The 500 uses the same drivers as the 150. I've not had any problems but I will say Hauppauges weak link is their drivers. I've been running my 500 for about 6 months with no problems. GB-PVR works great with it to.
500 All the way - dual over a single?? Need there be any question.

I run a 150 retail and a 500MCE - but my advantage is that they all use the same drivers. I couldn't comment on mixing 150/250/350/500
Good to know the image quality will be the same. Does anyone know why the 250 is more expensive than the 150?

Do I need to upgrade anything to be able to run 2 recordings at one time? My guess is one Hard Drive is the weak link. I almost never watch live tv it is always recorded. And just to clarify, I am going to go from one 250 to one 500 only.

Thanks
caesar25e Wrote:Good to know the image quality will be the same. Does anyone know why the 250 is more expensive than the 150?

Do I need to upgrade anything to be able to run 2 recordings at one time? My guess is one Hard Drive is the weak link. I almost never watch live tv it is always recorded. And just to clarify, I am going to go from one 250 to one 500 only.

Thanks
From what I have read, the 150 is a newer model that uses a single chip for audio and video analog to digital conversion. The older 250 uses two chips and is therefore more expensive to produce. I've also seen comments that since the 150 uses a single chip that the synchronization between the audio and video signals is better.
I use a 150 and 250 in the same machine... no issues. The biggest problem with the 150/500 line has been the drivers. I suffered from timestamp problems w/ my 150 for ages before Hauppauge finally got the driver problem resolved.

I'm afraid to touch anything now. Smile
wtg Wrote:I use a 150 and 250 in the same machine... no issues. The biggest problem with the 150/500 line has been the drivers. I suffered from timestamp problems w/ my 150 for ages before Hauppauge finally got the driver problem resolved.

I'm afraid to touch anything now. Smile

Yea I had huge driver issues with the 250MCE on Win 2000. If I would restart I would have to reinstall the card to get it to work again. I am sure my computer was as much to blame, requiring registered ECC ram and stuff like that.

Can you use the NON 500MCE drivers on a MCE card??