NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Hint: AMD X2 and other Dualcore CPU's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there =)

I know many people have some troubles with their "real" dualcore CPU's and some Apps.
Most of them try to fix it by installing newer CPU Drivers, or to set CPU affinitys.

Most of them didn't knew, that Windows XP SP2 has a Problem with "real" Dualcore CPU's and that a patch is inoffically available from them (they plan to ship it with Service Pack 3).

If you want to know, what the problem is, go to the Knowledge Base from Microsoft and search for: 896256

And if you want to GET the Patch, google for it! Currently it's not possible (i think) to get it directly from Microsoft itself. It's filename is: WindowsXP-KB896256-v3-x86-DEU.exe for the german version; i think for the english-one you have to replace "DEU" with "ENU" or "ENG".

I hope someone can use this information.
ShiningDragon Wrote:And if you want to GET the Patch, google for it! Currently it's not possible (i think) to get it directly from Microsoft itself. It's filename is: WindowsXP-KB896256-v3-x86-DEU.exe for the german version; i think for the english-one you have to replace "DEU" with "ENU" or "ENG".

I hope someone can use this information.

I have installed the English version on my workstation (My GBPVR box is not dual core). I have a Athlon 64 x2 3800+ on a Gigabyte k8n Pro-SLI with an ATI x600 AIW. It did help quite a bit, but I still have routine problems with Yahoo Messenger and to a lesser extent my ATI video card software. I suspect both issues are related to processing video sources (Yahoo accesses video sources for its web cam capability).

The file was available from a Microsoft web page that had bold print indicating that it was a beta and not fully tested. Use only if you were experiencing problems.

I understand that hyper-threading machines suffer from the same problems but to a lesser extent. WinXP was not originally designed for multiple processors where the processors are not individual CPU's on the motherboard.
Yeah, you're right.

But down there on the page were some examples to configure the "new" Sheduler-working. Perhaps this were something for you?

For me it's totally new and i plan to use my first dualcore in my life tomorrow. Because of this i checked many sites for known problems and hints.