NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Question: GB-PVR on Dualcore (X2 4200+)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, after i posted a patch for Dualcore CPU's under Windows XP for bugfixing some Apps, i have a question.

Tomorrow i'll replace my AMD64 3.500+ with an AMD64 X2 4.200+ (same like 2 x 3.500+).

Because of this i wanted to ask, how i could tell GB-PVR and it's additional plugins to use only one core permanently automatically at start.

I wanna use the PC for 2 Things simultanous. Because the new PureVideo Decoder and ForceWare are ressources-hungry Applications since last versions, i need now the power of two cores.

Has someone experience with something like this? For me it's my first dualcore environment ever!
ShiningDragon Wrote:Because of this i wanted to ask, how i could tell GB-PVR and it's additional plugins to use only one core permanently automatically at start.
I suspect that you would be better off letting Windows pick the resources, but I did find an interesting utility that would that would let you run processes on a specific "cpu". You would need to disable starting the GBPVR service automatically and have it start through this utility. You'd probably need to modify all your GBPVR shortcuts to route through this utility, as well as all the programs in your postprocessing.bat file.

Windows will let you specify a cpu to use through the Task Manager once you have the process running, but you have to set that each time you run the software.
Mhm, and what's the name of the utility? *g*

No, Windows Task Manager isn't a solution. It's not comfortable enough.
ShiningDragon Wrote:Mhm, and what's the name of the utility? *g*

No, Windows Task Manager isn't a solution. It's not comfortable enough.
OK, I found it and the readme points here for the file. The program is called RunOnCPU.exe. I have not used it.
Ah ^^ Many thanks to you, i'll look into this :-D
If you set <ForceSingleProcessorAffinity>true</ForceSingleProcessorAffinity> in config.xml, then GBPVR.exe will only use one processor.
@sub

Wow, thank you =) But affects this only GB-PVR itself, or is this setting used too for the TV-Card Driver and MPEG-2 Decoder (PureVideo/Intervideo) too?
And the 3rd Party plugins?
sub Wrote:If you set <ForceSingleProcessorAffinity>true</ForceSingleProcessorAffinity> in config.xml, then GBPVR.exe will only use one processor.

Wow -- i had no idea that setting was there and on by default. Seems to work, too -- process explorer (from http://www.sysinternals.net) tells me so!
ShiningDragon Wrote:@sub

Wow, thank you =) But affects this only GB-PVR itself, or is this setting used too for the TV-Card Driver and MPEG-2 Decoder (PureVideo/Intervideo) too?
And the 3rd Party plugins?
I'll affect anything used in the GBPVR.exe process, so this includes things like video decoders etc.
sub Wrote:I'll affect anything used in the GBPVR.exe process, so this includes things like video decoders etc.
This is PERFECT !!! *thumbs up* Big Grin

So i only need to make sure, that other Apps than GB-PVR, are using the other core.

Thanks for this very good feature ^^ Every day is like birthday: Every day discovering a new surprise Big Grin
Pages: 1 2