NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Help me choose a vid card...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok....I know there are a couple of threads regarding this very same thing. But I'm torn. It seems like ATI is the smarter choice even with my ASUS mb with nvidia chip set. But I can never figure out ATI's model lineup.

I have a budget of $170 CDN. I've read a lot of threads saying the 9550 and up have hardware de-interlacing. And the 9550 is only $68 at my local shop. So does the x series of cards have it as well? Like the x700 which is $179. I assume only due to price that it is a higher end card and would do a stellar job in my htpc but will it? Or is the 9600 a better card?

Off to more reading but some feed back would be appreciated.
I have a 9550 with component out.
It's marvelous.
The only reason to go higher is if you plan on playing games.
Are you limited to AGP?

You a general featureset of the ATI cards, look here:
http://www.ati.com/products/home-office.html

You're correct that the x series are better than the 9x series. But when it comes down to TV display, I'm not sure you need anything more than a 9550/9600.

I've read to be careful with non-ATI branded ATI chipset video cards, as they tend to cheap out on the TV-out components.
volksman Wrote:Like the x700 which is $179
If you going up into this price bracket, then you would be better off with next generation cards (like X1300) which among other improvements also offers H.264/AVC hardware acceleration.
Zato Wrote:Are you limited to AGP?

You a general featureset of the ATI cards, look here:
http://www.ati.com/products/home-office.html

You're correct that the x series are better than the 9x series. But when it comes down to TV display, I'm not sure you need anything more than a 9550/9600.

I've read to be careful with non-ATI branded ATI chipset video cards, as they tend to cheap out on the TV-out components.

I've read about Asus problems, but i've used 3 sapphire cards in the past & as long as the card is plugged into the TV at boot up they worked just fine & the picture looked good to me.

Though interstingly enough I have noticed that an older All-in-wonder (pre Radian) puts out a better picture than my radeon 7000 on the TV-out.
cool...thanks for the info...I think I'm gonna go with an x series just to stay in a "current" gen card. Sounds like the x1300 will do the trick.