NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Upgrade questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Currently I'm using a p4 3.0 Northwood (533) and 1GB of ram for my htpc. I recently aquired a micro-atx motherboard and really would like to use it so I can get an htpc case and not have the ugly dell optiplex I currently use. The micro-atx board is lga 775 so I would need a new processor but I can keep everything else. I was thinking of putting a celeron d 3.33ghz in it. I know a p4 would be better but I want to do this cheaply. Since I only use my htpc for gbpvr and nintendo emulators, am I really going to notice that much of a speed decrease if I go with the celeron d since I will be keeping 1GB of ram?
Thanks
soup006 Wrote:Currently I'm using a p4 3.0 Northwood (533) and 1GB of ram for my htpc. I recently aquired a micro-atx motherboard and really would like to use it so I can get an htpc case and not have the ugly dell optiplex I currently use. The micro-atx board is lga 775 so I would need a new processor but I can keep everything else. I was thinking of putting a celeron d 3.33ghz in it. I know a p4 would be better but I want to do this cheaply. Since I only use my htpc for gbpvr and nintendo emulators, am I really going to notice that much of a speed decrease if I go with the celeron d since I will be keeping 1GB of ram?
Thanks

I would buy a dual core 805 and don't forget you might need ddr2 not ddr1 ram if your new mobo takes it.
herbs Wrote:I would buy a dual core 805 and don't forget you might need ddr2 not ddr1 ram if your new mobo takes it.

Actually I forgot to mention the micro-atx mobo I acquired is based on the sis 661 chipset so it uses ddr1 and supports p4 5xx and celeron 3xx. This limits me on what I can use. I'm not looking for a super high end machine but would like it at least close to the speed of the p4 system I have now. The celeron d 3.33ghz is only $85.
the celeron will be more than good enough. The full P4 will only show it;s muscle if you transcode recordings into divx etc.