NextPVR Forums

Full Version: I'm new to all this, reccomendations?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm new to the forums, and have been reccomended to try GBPVR. I'm building a new PC in the next month or so, and one of the big things I wanted was to get a TV Tuner and use it as a DVR.

I was all set to purchase Beyond TV tomorrow, but have been told to take a look at this. Just wondering if anyone could tell me some of the benefits of this over Beyond TV.

Also, if anyone could reccomend a great TV Tuner card that I could get that would work really well with it. I was looking at the Hauppauge PVR350 card, but am not sure.

Does anyone know if remotes come with any of the cards and if this program supports them.

Sorry for all the questions from a newbie, but thanks!

~J
Advantages of GBPVR
It's FREE
Support is second to none - direct from the developer Big Grin
Many plugins and skin options (see wiki)
Ability to use MVP as front end
Can do everything Beyond TV can (based on the feature list on their site)

Disadvantages of GBPVR
Erm...

Download and try it before parting with your hard earned cash - you won't go back!

The 350 is a great card (I have one) however, don't be disapointed if the TV out doesn't work reliably - some people have no problems others (like myself) have never got it to work well. You may also want to have a look at the the 150 and 500 (2 150s). The 350 (as do most) ship with a remote.

Also, where do you live? BeyondTV only appears to support EPG in US and Canada...
I'm now confused as to whether with the Hauppauge 500 you can record a program and watch another both through a coax cable line. If that's not the case, I'd probably be interested in an HD TV tuner card, but one that definitely works well with GBPVR, and possibly sagetv or beyondtv. I would purchase the Firefly remote on the side also.

Can you reccomend a good HDTV TV tuner card that would work also so I can take that into consideration?

Thanks,
~J
NBAJ2K Wrote:Can you reccomend a good HDTV TV tuner card that would work also so I can take that into consideration?

That probably depend on your location. Over the Air in the USA is ATSC, nearly everywhere else is DVB-T. DVB-S for satellite and DVB-C for cable, though I understand that DVB-C doesn't work in the USA.
I'm in CT in the US. I changed my mind, I would not be able to pickup much of anything for HD anyway.

I would want one that would work well with GB-PVR, as even though I have been unable to try it out, different posters have convinced me that is the way to go. I assume a Firefly remote can be programmed to best use the program.

So the nVidia DualTV WILL NOT work with GBPVR but WILL will SageTV and BeyondTV?

The big thing is whether I can record one show and watch another, both through coax cable with the Hauppauge 500 or the nVidia DualTV. If I can't and they have to be different inputs then it is pointless. I just want to be sure to get a very good card.

~J