NextPVR Forums

Full Version: how to change 2 stb remote frequency's ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, I'm ready to add a stb, I will have a dish network 301 and a dish network 2800, but I noticed that the remote changes both at the same time, (meaning that the remote control frequency's are the same) I'm assuming that one stb frequency will have to change to a different number......so the question is HOW do you alter the frequency numbers for one of these boxes?

I use a USB-UIRT to change the channels......

hauppauge 350 and 150 pvr

thanks
Some STBs allow you to change the frequency. I don't know how. I can't do that with any of my cable companies hardware...

If you use the usbuirt, then you're probably using an IR blaster stuck to each of the ir sensors on the STB.

It is a matter of teaching the USBUIRT to keep the two signals separate. That's where you should be looking, and maybe someone with direct experience with the usbuirt would be able to help.

I have an MCE remote and it's beanbag/2x ir blasters, and two identical cable boxes (in this case the same as a satelite)

I use HIP to keep the two codes seperate so one stb is controlled by one ir blaster and another stb is controlled by the other ir blaster.

I understand that HIP has a usbuirt interface. I also think that GB-PVR supports the usbuirt nativiely, just don't have that experience...

Hope I've helped a tiny bit
so the physical stb doesnt need to have a frequency change? just the usbuirt? I'll have to try hip when I get it all hooked up, this usbuirt I have is just one box that sends and recieves remote signals across the room, not stuck to the stb itself
DoPeFiSh Wrote:so the physical stb doesnt need to have a frequency change? just the usbuirt? I'll have to try hip when I get it all hooked up, this usbuirt I have is just one box that sends and recieves remote signals across the room, not stuck to the stb itself

Let's say you areen't using GB-PVR or a USBUIRT. One stb remote would controll two STBs. That's where you would need to change a IR frequency on one of the STBs and also teach the remote to differentiate between the two stbs... On the remote, click STB1, and then channel up or INfo will work for only STB1 and so on...

But when you use a USBUIRT with two IR blasters, you are able to localize where the IR light is spahing around the room. One IR Balster goes to one STB, and the other, the other...

That means you no longer have to worry about freuencies. You have to worry about teaching the USBUIRT which blaster to send the codes...

eq: GB-PVR wants to change the channel on STB1. >> It sends a code to USBUIRT that also tells it to only blaster #1. >> USBUIRT only blasts ir blaster #1. (STB2 doesn't change)...

Your probalm is, that by default the USBUIRT will blast the same codes to Both or all IR blasters..

That's what I was talking about - I don't have the final piece of the puzzle. Just wanted to help you get in that direction...
I kinda read about that function with the uirt but didnt understand, now I do, thanks, I was thinking about using the external ir emitter on the usbuirt if all else fails.....would I have to use hip to do this funtion or is it in gbpvr?

thanks again
the usb-uirt has three zones. under normal operation, you use just emitter on the box itself, which blasts everything in sight.

i have a situation similar to yours, two (virtually) identical stbs. if there's a way to change the frequencies, i haven't figured it out. i have a stick-on emitter wired to each stb and plugged into the other two zones on the usb-uirt. (yes, there's only one socket, you need a splitter).

i'm doing this from memory and i don't remember all the details, but after you learn the ir codes from the remote, you have to edit the files and create one for each zone. then in gbpvr config, you associate the usb-uirt for each box with the right file.

theres a bunch of detail on the usb-uirt site if you root around for it (tells you specifically what splitter to use..radio shack..and where you can get the emitters...very little cost to this, by the way if you already have the usb-uirt. if you can't figure it out from all this, leave a message here and i'll send you all the detail you need in a few days (can't do it right away Smile )

bottom-line though, you can easily control up to three different devices with the same usb-uirt using the three zones. if you're using the usb-uirt itself as one of the emitters, however, you'd have to do something to isolate the emitter so it didn't blast everything. anyway, i've had this working for about a year or so and has been absolutely flawless.
I wanted to do the external emitter, I was thinking about just the usb-uirt and one emitter on one of the stb's, if that would work......

thanks
like i said, using the emitter on the usb-uirt is an issue only because it will blast everything. if you send a signal to the external stick-on emitter, it will control just the box it's connected to. when you send a signal from the usb-uirt's emitter, it may well control both boxes, unless you very carefully isolate them. it may be easier (and not much more expensive ... about $12 ... to buy a second stick-on emitter and the necessary splitter. by the way, you can also purchase ir shields for the stick-on emitters. i use them. don't know if they're really necessary, but they cost very little and i can't complain about the results. my stbs are stacked one on top of the other...the emitters are just 2 inches apart and i never have any issues with signals leaking from one to the other.
ple, where can I get an ir shield?? I asked for it at Radio shack :confused: but they didn't know what I was talking about.......

thanks
Pages: 1 2