NextPVR Forums

Full Version: PVR/HTPC in Server Room with no client/MVP by the TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello All,

I am new to HTPC/PVR. Planning to assemble a HTPC with GBPVR and would like to have the GBPVR computer located in a Media room (100 feet away from the TV) and control it via a RF remote. I have basicall 2 different questions-

1. Why would I need a client/mediaMVP if I use a RF remote(presuming that it works for 100 feets) and a SVIDEO extender like http://www.svideo.com/svaudiobalun17.html. I am only trying to understand the technicality. From economic perspective, it is not worth it. But there are other similar products that lets you extend to 5-6 diffrent locations or to send component/DVI video. So if you have 4-5 TV, then this may be a solution.

2. What functionality/benefit I will be loose or will be invconvenient with such set-up when you don't have any mediaMPV/client device near your TV our Couch.

For example, using IR Remote not possible easily. Buring something onto DVD/CD becomes pain as you don't have a PC next to TV. You would need a seperate PC with DVD burner etc. I am trying to understand the limitation of this setup based on all the available plug-in/utilities and features of GBPVR available.

Regards,
Shaurya
If you can get the RF remote to work with GBPVR, then that type of system should work. I think it is easier to use an RF modulator like this http://www.smarthome.com/7780s.html and inject the signal into your coax system (assuming you have a coax wired house). I think the svideo extender would be more expensive and more limiting. With the modulator you choose an open channel it injects it into. That way you can watch the shows off any TV in your house. You may also need a notch filter to clean your cable for the best signal. I am doing this and the picture and sound quality is just as good (or better on one TV) than the direct cable shows.

You should get the same functionality as the MVP with the exception that the MVPs allow you to watch different media or shows at each client. Your system would only allow you to see what is coming off the PC. Again, this all hinges on being able to use the rf remote to control GBPVR. Others on the boards should know more about that. Let us know how it works out.
Using an MVP puts next to no load on your computer (unless playing avi files) and allows you to run any scheduled tasks, burn cd's, download things without affecting the quality of the TV.
If you have a monitor attatched administering your comp is straightforward.

You will lose functionality using the MVP over the s-vid from the comp as you can only play MPEG/(AVI)/MP3/JPEG etc, with direct s-vid you can display anything on the screen.

My main reason for liking the MVP is that i can watch a different recording/listen to music to my girlfriend elsewhere. ( i can avoid Big Brother, she spared my history documentarys!)

Soccerdads idea sounds good though, you lose the different shows on different TV's, but i presume you can watch anything that displays on a PC monitor through the house coax?
stu8080 Wrote:Soccerdads idea sounds good though, you lose the different shows on different TV's, but i presume you can watch anything that displays on a PC monitor through the house coax?
That is the idea (but windows stuff will not be very readable)

The modulator I listed above has composite inputs instead of Svid, but you can get the Svid ones. That just happens to be the one that I am using. I actually have mine on the output of a video switch box that is next to my main tv. It will modulate what ever device the switch box is set to so I can see it all over the house. I have an MVP, the Cable box, the DVD player and an old VCR all going into it. It gives me ultimate flexibility. Here is a post talking about modulators. http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=10508

Good luck and have fun.
Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion. I really liked the idea of modulation..I am researching it further...

Mr. soccerdad, one question on your comment
Quote:If you can get the RF remote to work with GBPVR, then that type of system should work

Is RF setup difficult with GBPVR or RF is a mixed bag of results.

Regards,
Shaurya
Just an addition to Soccerdad's setup. I am using an almost identical rf modulator to put my pc on channel 125 so I can watch it in the front room. I am also using an ir remote receiver that injects the ir into the cable back to the computer so that I can use a normal ir remote in the front room to control the computer. Check here for details : http://www.channelplus.com/products_ir.html

I think I found a package deal for the whole setup but I can't remember where. I will check and see if I still have the details.

I did try the rf universal remotes but they have really poor range and weren't reliable for me. This setup works flawlessly.