NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150: Incorrect Channel Content
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've just installed a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 and am getting to know GB-PVR, but I have an issue with incorrect channel content.

In 'Edit Recording Source' I programmed five channels using EPG, then manually changed the 'Source Channel' to suit my local transmiiters and they work fine. Then, using the 'Add' function I added two channels that are not included in the EPG list, entering the correct source channel for each. I also went to the 'Channels' tab and gave each channel a program number to order them them way I want. However when I watch live TV one of the five EPG channels and both manually programmed channels display the same programme as one of the four correctly working channels. The order of channels appears as set in the 'Channels' tab, and all seven channel's are identified correctly as per the Channel Name given them in 'Edit Recording Source', so the problem is only with the actual programme being viewed.

When I use the WinTV2000 app. I can view all the channels as required, so the problem is not a card malfunction or my incorrect selection of source channels.

Also, in the 'Direct Recording Configuration' tab, when I tick 'Only show devices detected in this machine', the 'PVR-150' is not shown (only the PVR250, PVR250 witrh FM, and PVR350 are shown).

A screen shot of the 'Edit Recording Source' and 'Channels' tabs are attached (I hope).
This sounds a bit odd. Are you sure you intalled the correct drivers for the PVR-150?

The setup you show is correct (provided the channelnumbers are OK of coarse).

Only one thing still could be wrong: the air versus cable setting in the capture source screen (I have to set it to air instead of cable becuse the Dutch cable providers use odd channels, no idea what the situation in NZ is).
Thanks Koenie. I expected that the drivers would be OK since the card works OK with WinTV2000, but there is probably more to drivers than I realise. However, since you mention it, I had two issues with the original installation:

1. I installed the drivers and applications from the Hauppauge CD which then required a reboot and then the installation 'continued', until the computer locked up while installing Acrobat Reader (which I had not, in oversight, unticked even though I had a later version installed). I had assumed that the reboot was part way through installation but I think now that the installation had completed then started over because I left the CD in as some installations require this. I looked as best I could and it appeared to me that everything had been installed, but a corruption could have occurred then due to the computer lockup. However the Hauppauge apps. did work OK afterwards for everything I tried.

2. After this I went to the Hauppauge support site and installed any drivers and application updates that appeared to have come out later than the CD. This really upset things as then (I now see an association here with my current problem!) I was able to change channels but the programme content did not change, whereas before I updated the software all worked fine. To rectify this I reinstalled the from the CD, after which everything appeared fine - I won't try that again till I prove everything else works. This all happened before I installed GB-PVR.

Unless any other suggestion comes in before I get home tonight I guess I'll uninstall everything and start again. I'm concerned about completely wiping the drivers - how can I be assured that I've removed all corruptions because drivers don't necessarily seem to be removed the same as applications are in Add-Remove Programs? For instance, until recently I had a Leadtek TV card and I removed the drivers by deleting them from 'System - Hardware - Device Manager - Sound, video & game controllers' but when I put the card back in the drivers automatically returned.
the hauppauge app HWClear.exe is pretty thorough at removing all the HP software and drivers. run this (it should be on the supplied CD or maybe in the Programs menu already) and you'll be back to square 1.
Thanks. I used HWClear.exe and it was great. However uninstalling everything and deleting the remaining folders too, then reinstalling both the driver, Hauppauge apps and GB-PVR did not resolve my problem.

Now that I've spent more time on it I've come to the tremendous realisation that it is playing VHF channels but not UHF channels (my brain ticks over slowly sometimes). When I use the GB-PVR tuning assistant and the 'Antenna' option it scans only the 11 VHF channels in New Zealand, but not the 35 odd UHF channels. If I try 'Cable' the frequencies do not match most of the 'Antenna' channels. I've tried some of the other countries and those that have the same VHF channels as New Zealand do not extend to UHF either. However trying other countries, or using the 'Cable' option, that do extend into UHF which I found do have one or two that are near enough to the New Zealand frequencies that they show the UHF does work with GB-PVR. The PVR-150 works perfectly using WinTV2000 for both VHF an UHF.

Can anyone tell me why I can't get the UHF channels as well as VHF, and if there is any county setting that is the same as New Zealands but includes both bands? Or have I overlooked something?
it sounds like you might have to manually input the channel frequecies. I've never had to do this, but you should be able to trawl the wiki and forums for info. maybe here??? http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Utili...gAssistant
Ah - I did that, which takes us back to my original post: "In 'Edit Recording Source' I programmed five channels using EPG, then manually changed the 'Source Channel' to suit my local transmiiters and they work fine. Then, using the 'Add' function I added two channels that are not included in the EPG list, entering the correct source channel for each. I also went to the 'Channels' tab and gave each channel a program number to order them them way I want. However when I watch live TV one of the five EPG channels and both manually programmed channels display the same programme as one of the four correctly working channels."

I actually made an error in that statement though - only four of the five EPG channels worked OK, they being the VHF channels. The one that didn't work, plus the two added channels are all UHF channels. So, although I have programmed the correct channels in the GB-PVR, it does not tell the PVR-150 to select the UHF ones.
Sorry, I meant the section in the wiki on adding the actual frequencies to the registry, rather than the method of adding the channel numbers in config. I thought this might help with the VHF/UHF problem....
Quote:Now that I've spent more time on it I've come to the tremendous realisation that it is playing VHF channels but not UHF channels (my brain ticks over slowly sometimes). When I use the GB-PVR tuning assistant and the 'Antenna' option it scans only the 11 VHF channels in New Zealand, but not the 35 odd UHF channels. If I try 'Cable' the frequencies do not match most of the 'Antenna' channels. I've tried some of the other countries and those that have the same VHF channels as New Zealand do not extend to UHF either. However trying other countries, or using the 'Cable' option, that do extend into UHF which I found do have one or two that are near enough to the New Zealand frequencies that they show the UHF does work with GB-PVR. The PVR-150 works perfectly using WinTV2000 for both VHF an UHF.

Can anyone tell me why I can't get the UHF channels as well as VHF, and if there is any county setting that is the same as New Zealands but includes both bands? Or have I overlooked something
This is because of the screwy directshow tuning table Microsoft used for New Zealand. There two approaches people use to solve this:

1) use Microsofts frequency override settings to add your channels
2) or enter the frequency numbers instead of the channel numbers
3) or, my preference, set it to 'cable' tuning and use the Tuning Assistant to find the correct channel numbers. This has got every channel I needed here in NZ.

For NZ, the 'antenna' option only scans 11 frequencies. When you select 'cable' I'm fairly sure it scans every standard PAL B/G frequency.
Thank you. Following your suggestions I've just done a quick search on the internet for "microsoft directshow frequency override" and also in the wiki for "frequency override" and see there is lots of information there so I'll look at it tonight.

For my reference tonight:
http://windowssdk.msdn.microsoft.com/en-...83694.aspx
http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Confi...elMappings

Regarding a couple of Sub's comments:
1. Entering the frequencies instead of channels would probably be simple but I'm not aware of where they can be entered instead of channel numbers
2. I tried scanning the NZ cable channels using the Tuning Assistant but it came up with only two or so 'matching' channels, and their frequencies were slightly off anyway. However if it worked for you then I'll have a closer look. From memory, I think the VHF channels I require are 1,2,5 &11, & the UHF are 40, 44, 60 & 64 (one of them is the output from my cable TV box, but the GB-PVR would be mainly used for free to air off my antenna).
Pages: 1 2