NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Zalman HD160 Case with GB-PVR
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Does anybody have experience of using one of these cases with GB-PVR?

The case has a built in receiver and also comes with an MCE remote.
I suppose its really meant to be used with MCE but I really do like the idea of having a built in receiver iof it can do everything I need.

Ive already read here that the MCE remote can work with GB-PVR but I have also read about needing a channel changer.

I am planning to put two PVR-150's or one PVR-500 in the Zalmans and if I can buy the TV cards without all the bits (because I have them inside the Zalmans case) I can justify spending what seems like alot of money on this great looking case.

Also can I get the VFD screen in this case working with GB-PVR to display track information and what not?

Sorry if this is a really silly question but I cant seem to find a definate answer browsing the web.

I am reasonably sure that the MCE remote will work with the built in receiver with GB-PVR but what I am confused about is channel changing and I need to know if this will be possible without any more hardware.

Thanks all in advance.
A channel changer is usually in the context of an IR emitter (blaster) that can control an external set-top box - if you're only going to be using the internal PVR cards to receive TV then this is not going to be relevant to you.

I have seen some posts about using a VFD/LCD - I'm not sure exactly how it's implimented on the Zalman case, but I believe it ought to be configurable and run with the right plugins and tweeking.

GBPVR does have native support for the MCE remote, so this should be a go-er too.

I've not got the case, so this is all intelligent (Smile)guess work from reading the online reviews of your case, and knowing a little about GBPVR, so don't buy anything just on my recommendation, but I think it does all look good.....
I will be hooking up the HTPC to a standard UK Sky Digital box. Yeah sorry I didnt mention this. (always helps people to help if one gives them the full information :o )

Okay after you explained what an IR blaster was, I now realise the answer to the question must be that the blaster can't possibly be included with the HD160 because it would connect from the TV card to the Sky box.

So I guess I can avoid needing to have an external reciever for the MCE Remote but I would still need to get my hands on an IR blaster somehow if I didnt buy one with the TV card right?

2nd stupid question...............

If I want to be able to watch one channel whilst recording another do I need two Sky Digiboxes as well as two tv tuners?

Sorry for being dumb but I have never seen any of this kind of thing up and running as yet and I want to make sure I get everything right first time and dont overbuy. I definately cant afford to do that. Smile
im getting my hd160 case tonight Smile
TeddyKGBUK Wrote:Okay after you explained what an IR blaster was, I now realise the answer to the question must be that the blaster can't possibly be included with the HD160 because it would connect from the TV card to the Sky box.
It probably isn't included with the case, but certain editions of the pvr-150 come with a blaster, so it depends on which one you have ordered, I guess.

Quote:So I guess I can avoid needing to have an external reciever for the MCE Remote but I would still need to get my hands on an IR blaster somehow if I didnt buy one with the TV card right?
The blaster to get if you don't get one with the 150 is the usb-uirt. Pretty expensive, but very reliable.
http://www.usbuirt.com/
Quote:If I want to be able to watch one channel whilst recording another do I need two Sky Digiboxes as well as two tv tuners?
As always, that depends Wink If you have access to any analogue broadcasts still, the 150 and the 500 can record those. Just hook up your rooftop antenna to the cards and you can record the analogue tv on one of the cards that you don't have the STB (digibox) hooked up to. If you don't have access to analogue broadcasts, you would have to have one box for each capture card.

Quote:Sorry for being dumb but I have never seen any of this kind of thing up and running as yet and I want to make sure I get everything right first time and dont overbuy. I definately cant afford to do that. Smile
I hear you Smile Talking about that, if you can't get analogue, then getting one 150 and one 500 is overkill, unless you're planning on hooking up three digiboxes. The 500 is two 150's in one, so you would end up with three capture cards.
TeddyKGBUK Wrote:I am planning to put two PVR-150's or one PVR-500 in the Zalmans
I totally misread that like so: "I am planning to put one PVR-150 and one PVR-500 in...". Sorry about that :o
Right the old cogs are starting to turn now.

I could get my hands on a second set top box I guess pretty cheaply on ebay but then I think sky will hit me for another £10 a month for what they call multiroom and I think they have to do something to the dish as well so its not something I can sort out without them being involved. Obviously someone familar with the way UK Sky works would have to confirm this one.

Assuming I do get a second digibox then if I got the HD160 with the built in receiver I would still need an external receiver anyway to be able to plug in one end of the two blasters I would need in order to change channels on the digiboxes.

The only way round an external receiver (though why I am worried about the space this is gonna take up now I have to house a second digibox Big Grin ) is TV cards with jack plugs to plug the blasters into.

Is this all right?

Cheers all.
TeddyKGBUK Wrote:Right the old cogs are starting to turn now.
*smile*

Quote:Assuming I do get a second digibox then if I got the HD160 with the built in receiver I would still need an external receiver anyway to be able to plug in one end of the two blasters I would need in order to change channels on the digiboxes.
The only way round an external receiver (though why I am worried about the space this is gonna take up now I have to house a second digibox Big Grin ) is TV cards with jack plugs to plug the blasters into.
This is where it might get tricky. I don't have a setup with two STB's myself, but I can imagine the difficulties that kick in. First, if the two STB's are the same kind they will share the same ir signals. Change the channel on one, and you will have some (not unsolvable, but still) problems not to change to the same channel on the other one. This might even apply if you get STB's from different manufacturers.

The usb-uirt has something called "zones". You can buy/build separate small blasters which are hooked into a "earphone jack" on the usb-uirt, and then you need to stick these tight onto the ir receiver on your respective STB, so that they only send the signal to their "own" STB, and not to the other one. The USB-UIRT can be programmed to send different signals on the "correct" transmitter. HOWEVER, I have no idea if GBPVR supports this feature or not. Someone else might know for sure.

Second, an IR receiver and an IR blaster do not have to have anything to do with each other. For example, the built in receiver in the zalman does not have a blaster (I would guess, at least).

The usb-uirt I recommended above is not connected to any tv-card at all. It is hooked up to your usb port, so you don't have to get any special card at all for that. If you don't want to get a usb-uirt (which will work for pretty much any STB's), you could get the version of the pvr-150 that has a blaster.

I think it's the one that does not have "MCE" in its name. With that card you will also get an ir remote and an ir receiver. The problem with this blaster is that you can only control STB's that Hauppauge have programmed into their software. So you need to check that first.

Hope I'm not confusing you too much. Big Grin
Slight hijack here, hope you don't mind, but I'm looking at getting on of the HD-160 XT cases soon (the one with the TFT screen) and was wondering how well they worked out. I did notice that the web site mentions support for gbpvr (which impressed me).
It would be great if I could use the front end on the 7" screen with the remote to play music rather than having to fire up the TV.
Many thanks

David
TeddyKGBUK Wrote:Right the old cogs are starting to turn now.

I could get my hands on a second set top box I guess pretty cheaply on ebay but then I think sky will hit me for another £10 a month for what they call multiroom and I think they have to do something to the dish as well so its not something I can sort out without them being involved. Obviously someone familar with the way UK Sky works would have to confirm this one.

Assuming I do get a second digibox then if I got the HD160 with the built in receiver I would still need an external receiver anyway to be able to plug in one end of the two blasters I would need in order to change channels on the digiboxes.

Is this all right?

Cheers all.

Do you get a decent Freeview signal? If so, use a Nova-T Pci/ Nova-T 500 cards to receive non-sky stuff & use the pvr150 / pvr 500 to record from the skybox