NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Pvr-250 and Xcard Screen Capture
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Typed Pvr-250, should have been Pvr-150 (Hauppage)

Am trying to capture a screensaver to file. All screen capture programs I've tried (Fraps, CamStudio,etc.) are too slow and end up with jerky captures. I need something to transmit the screen to a capture card. My computers both have onboard intel graphics and capture cards, but no tv output.

Ran across mention of xcard and remembered that I had purchased one when it was first released, then never opened the box since. Tried to install it with the cd and ended up with a pink, blurred screen on my monitor. Removed the card! Saw today that there are some 2003 drivers available (downloaded them). Will try installing the xcard again with the new drivers. The s-video plug is very loose in the jack and I don't know if this is causing the weird screen.

Question:

Is there anyway to send the screen through the xcard's s-video port to my Hauppage pvr-150 card?
No, unfortunately the xcard is a special playback device that only really shows video, it wont output the screensavers or the windows desktop or anything like that.
Thanks, that's what I thought. Will consign the xcard back into permanent storage.Sad

Have ordered a Grandtec Ultimate XP Pro Converter (Scan to Tv) to try. A lot of gamers seem to use it for screen to file captures. Was orginally going to get a video card with s-video out, but there's so many conflicting reports on various video cards that I gave up.

We'll see.Smile
Could you recommend a reasonably priced graphics card with good tv out? Really don't care about capture, as it will only feed the screen to my pvr-250 with s-video. My computer is a HP 2.53Ghz P4 with XPHome. It has an empty APG 4x slot and I do have a standard open slot available.

This capture screensaver thing is becoming a compulsion? Between another graphics card and the scan converter, something should work!
There are tons of threads on video card recommendations. Here is one from the last day so: http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=18895
I know. I've read dozens, and more confused than ever
I'd probably just go with csy's recommendation:

csy Wrote:ATI X1300 or higher
Nvidia 6600 (perhaps 6200 ?) or 7300, or higher
It is important to choose a card with 128-bit (or higher) memory interface.
It has an empty APG 4x slot and I do have a standard open slot available. I don't know how to tell which boards will fit.

Also, this will never drive a HDTV. I also have a Gateway Dual Core with MCE that I could use for that.

This will only ever drive my monitor at 1024x768 32bit max. I will only be sending ntsc s-video to pvr-250 capture card (720x480).
I'll let someone else answer. I hate giving hardware recommendations.
I understand, I do too. It's just the AGP 4X slot thing. I've used onboard graphics for too long and haven't kept up with the gamers. Just can't figure out which kind will physically fit and work.
Pages: 1 2