NextPVR Forums

Full Version: MPEG2 over DSL. Can I use a Digital or DVB-T Tuner for this?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Currently I get FTA analogue channels via a normal antenna and MPEG2 delivered over DSL through a decoder box.

I am in the market for a new card and until DVB-T arrives here, was wondering if I can use a Digital or DVB-T Tuner for the MPEG2 feed? i.e if I buy a digital card, it should work on the MPEG2 stream right, as it's already a digital format?

Currenlt I feed it through my analogue PVR-150, but it seem a bit odd that it encodes an MPEG2 stream ...to ...MPEG2. Does this make sense?

k.
Mhm, what do you mean by "your PVR-150 encodes a MPEG2 Stream to MPEG2"?
From where should it get the MPEG-2 Ready Stream? From the VideoIN? This is a normal analogue Input. From the Cable Reception? This is analogue too.
The PVR-150 itself cannot receive MPEG-2 Streams.
ShiningDragon Wrote:Mhm, what do you mean by "your PVR-150 encodes a MPEG2 Stream to MPEG2"? From where should it get the MPEG-2 Ready Stream? From the VideoIN? This is a normal analogue Input. From the Cable Reception? This is analogue too. The PVR-150 itself cannot receive MPEG-2 Streams.
I'm not 100% sure but it's not "Cable Reception" as such, it's a DSL delivery but OK, I guess what you say makes sense, as the DSL box outputs via RCA or Svideo jacks to the PVR-150 inputs. The blurb for my DSL provider says "The now Pay-TV service launched in 2003 and has been using TANDBERG Television MPEG-2 encoding for its premium channels". By this I understood I get delivered MPEG2 streams. However this is output to my PVR150. I was wondering what happens to the MPEG2 and I guess I was hoping that if I take the same feed and plonk it into a digital box, no ANALOGUE TUNER is required. i.e. can I use a Digitial encoder card?

In future this will be MPEG4 "With the TANDBERG EN5990 MPEG-4 AVC encoder now TV will be able to deliver a compelling HD service with sport, entertainment and news content in half the bandwidth that would have been required for the same picture quality with MPEG-2. "

k.
With my understanding you need for a digital Card input a MPEG-2 Transportstream vor digital receive.
I am sorry to say, that i don't know the service, you called. But if your PVR-150 can recognize and display your Stream, than the output from your DSL-Box is just analogue, also already decoded.
A DVB-T card wouldnt enable you to receive this MPEG2 content you currently receive via DSL. It is most likely some form of IPTV.
Thanks to you both; I'm learning a lot!

ShiningDragon Wrote:With my understanding you need for a digital Card input a MPEG-2 Transportstream vor digital receive. I am sorry to say, that I don't know the service, you called. But if your PVR-150 can recognize and display your Stream, than the output from your DSL-Box is just analogue, also already decoded.
The PVR-150 certainly does recognize and play the stream, so it seems so. There are no coax other connectors, just RCA ones.

sub Wrote:A DVB-T card wouldnt enable you to receive this MPEG2 content you currently receive via DSL. It is most likely some form of IPTV.
Yes it is IPTV largest one in the world apparently. So that's not digital then? Bu99er. I had such high hopes ... ah well. I guess if I could find a digital tuner that could do both (simualtaneously, unlike the ATI 650, HVR-1300) then that we would be a good purchase now for the future DVB-T, as i could use the analog for the DSL IPTV feed.

k.
jksmurf Wrote:Thanks to you both; I'm learning a lot!

The PVR-150 certainly does recognize and play the stream, so it seems so. There are no coax other connectors, just RCA ones.
This isn't important. Alone the fact, that your PVR-150 can display the input means, that the input is not a special "stream". It's just an analogue signal, nothing more. The same kind of signal as from your videorecorder, game console and other things. =)
Quote:Alone the fact, that your PVR-150 can display the input means, that the input is not a special "stream". It's just an analogue signal, nothing more.
From his description, it does sounds like a special stream rather than an analog signal. From his description it is IPTV over DSL, with a set top box to convert the IPTV and convert to analog for viewing on his TV. Sure, he could plug the set top box in his PVR-150 to record the analog result, but I think he was more interested in recording the original IPTV MPEG2 stream.
Quote:Yes it is IPTV largest one in the world apparently. So that's not digital then? Bu99er. I had such high hopes ... ah well. I guess if I could find a digital tuner that could do both (simualtaneously, unlike the ATI 650, HVR-1300) then that we would be a good purchase now for the future DVB-T, as i could use the analog for the DSL IPTV feed.
Yes, is is digital, but there are many kinds of digital transmissions, which is why we have many types of cards (ATSC, DVB-C, DVB-T, DVB-S etc). These have quite a few differences, with the biggest differences relating how the signal encoded for transmission (QAM, QPSK, VSB, BPSK etc). I'm not sure what your IPTV provider is using, but it may be something different again.

I'm not really sure if cards exist that allow you to tune these types of transmissions. It may be possible with some type of cable modem.
sub Wrote:From his description, it does sounds like a special stream rather than an analog signal. From his description it is IPTV over DSL, with a set top box to convert the IPTV and convert to analog for viewing on his TV. Sure, he could plug the set top box in his PVR-150 to record the analog result, but I think he was more interested in recording the original IPTV MPEG2 stream.
Like i understood, he's already going the way i described:
jksmurf Wrote:Currenlt I feed it through my analogue PVR-150, but it seem a bit odd that it encodes an MPEG2 stream ...to ...MPEG2. Does this make sense?
And this is just an analogue stream, i too think that he has some kind of STB between PVR-150 and his DSL-Box (is this a special box, perhaps?).
Pages: 1 2