NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Replacing the remote control component
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Preface:
Well - I'm in a place I'm quite happy with my setup (and so is the wife). It is quite basic and simple, but it answers our needs and habbits (at least for now). Except tweaking here and there, it's stable.

There's only one piece in the puzzle that keeps moving: The Hauppauge remote control. I saw other people complaining about it here, didn't ever see a true resolve.
The known issue is that sometimes the Hauppage Remote (or more correctly the IR reciever or IR software) sends the wrong keystrokes to the running software. People have complained about moving up/down in the guide - actually it can happen with any repeated keystroke (can be right,right,right, and when you send left, you get another right).
I know someone said they asked to replace the remote itself, but I know this will not solve it either. Sometimes, after a repeated keystrokes, even using another remote in the house(?!?!?!) sends the last keystroke again. This removes the remote itself (or GB, if anyone had any doubts) from the list.
Yes, I am running the ir.exe in a higher than normal priority (I even run it now as "Realtime". it helps a bit, still happens).

Solution:
So, instead of trying to fix it, I thought I'll just ditch the remote part of Hauppauge.

Now, mind you I'm using a laptop, so only USB (or possible PCMCIA) solutions will work.

I was thinking of just buying a remote/reciever piece. What do you recommend? IR? RF? Obviously, something that has known support with GBPVR...
that would be me then!

I'm sure that this is a bug in the ir.exe. My last attempt to work with Hauppauge on this drew a blank. I may have one more attempt or just give up and grab one of the mce remote kits. I'm fairly sure that this will work ok with gbpvr.
Do you mean the MCE kit from Hauppauge? Are you sure it won't suffer from same problem?
no, actually I had been thinking about this one

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_5498.html

but it apparently only works with MCE - damn.

humm - I'm not being much help here...
Ok, so can someone who had bought just a remote kit (and that works with GBPVR, of course...) can step up and point us in the right direction?
I have a usb-uirt...... does anyone know of any easy way to make that control gbpvr.........it would seem like a huge waste of time to program 45 buttons...(hauppuage remote) ....does someone have a file they could send me? or some tip?

I more have problems with the hauppauge just not picking up the remote at all! It has a horrible sensor....
For example, I found this. Anyone with experience? remote

Or, from ATI

Or from Diamond?
Ah, by the way, in my case, there's Blue Tooth built in the laptop. anyone using BT for remote control?
btw: it looks like the MS MCE remote can be used with xp pro and with xp home (by extracting the drivers from an xp pro system).

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1089644
gEd Wrote:btw: it looks like the MS MCE remote can be used with xp pro and with xp home (by extracting the drivers from an xp pro system).

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1089644

I'm using XP Pro, so should work? also - by GBPVR Wiki, they are supported: remotes

However, getting the one that is called Version 2a on the Wiki is tricky. Most of the places I see the picture of the Version 2, which has less buttons (as I use almost every single button of my 45 Hauppauge, I want buttons! lots of buttons!).
Pages: 1 2