NextPVR Forums

Full Version: MVP HD resolution?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi All,
I saw a review of the new wireless MVP today. The reviewer was comparing it to the D-Link MediaLounge DSM-520 which supports resolutions up to 1080i. After reading the review, I read the review of D-Link's product. The funny thing was that it supports 1080i but can only display 720 X 480. This got me thinking... If I added a ATSC tuner to my GBPVR system, I can record the 720 X 480 resolution. Does anyone know the maximum resolution the MVP can display? In all the research I've done, I can't seem to find MVP specs for max resolution/bit rate. I also was looking for a spec rating for s-video. Can 720P come out of a s-video cable? Thanks
The MVP can only handle standard NTSC or PAL video - no high definition support.

Quote:If I added a ATSC tuner to my GBPVR system, I can record the 720 X 480 resolution.
With an ATSC tuner, it always records whatever resolution the broadcaster is transmitting.
WoW, fast response Sub. I record all my shows at 352 X 480 and play every thing back on the MVP. To be honest with you, if I walk into the livingroom and the TV is playing... I'm hard pressed to tell if its live or recorded. I'm thinking about getting a new flat panel tv soon and for all the $$$ I'll be spending, I won't want to be watching all low res recorded shows. So is standard NTSC 720 X 480 (viewable) or what I'm recording at?
Quote:So is standard NTSC 720 X 480 (viewable) or what I'm recording at?
With an ATSC tuner, it will be recording at 480p, 720p or 1080i, depending on what the broadcaster is using. The MVP will not be able to play any of these files. It'll suffer a "brown trousers error" if you try Big Grin

It can only play regular interlaced 720 X 480 NTSC recordings (or PAL equiv), like those produced by an analog Hauppauge card.
Sounds too messy to me. I guess I'll be sticking to ol reliable analog recording for awhile... Thanks for the enlightenment SubSmile
sub Wrote:With an ATSC tuner, it will be recording at 480p, 720p or 1080i, depending on what the broadcaster is using. The MVP will not be able to play any of these files. It'll suffer a "brown trousers error" if you try Big Grin

It can only play regular interlaced 720 X 480 NTSC recordings (or PAL equiv), like those produced by an analog Hauppauge card.

Pop in for a sec...

But the MediaMVP will display 16x9. Does that mean it will stretch a 720x480 out to 16x9?
Quote:But the MediaMVP will display 16x9. Does that mean it will stretch a 720x480 out to 16x9?
This often confuses people, but resolution and aspect ratio are two entirely separate things.

A standard NTSC transmission is 720x480. A widescreen NTSC transmission is also 720x480. For example, if you were two look at the resolution of a widescreen DVD and the resolution of a fullframe 4:3 DVD, you'd find they were both using a resolution of 720x480.
sub Wrote:With an ATSC tuner, it will be recording at 480p, 720p or 1080i, depending on what the broadcaster is using. The MVP will not be able to play any of these files. It'll suffer a "brown trousers error" if you try Big Grin

What if we transcode the ATSC files (DVR-MS or whatever) to standard MPEG-2? Can the MVP display that?
They already are standard MPEG-2 files.

You can of course transcode them to the lower resolution NTSC/PAL MPEG-2 files for playback on the MVP.
sub Wrote:They already are standard MPEG-2 files.

You can of course transcode them to the lower resolution NTSC/PAL MPEG-2 files for playback on the MVP.

Last night I fired up my wireless MVP and ran some experiments.

Every time I tried to watch anything (SD, HD, whatever) from my ATSC receiver, the MVP rebooted.

Works fine on the PVR-500 output, however.

I am using the M$ BDA mux and didn't really expect this to work, but I'd like to play around with muxes just to see if I can tickle this into showing live ATSC content.
Pages: 1 2 3