NextPVR Forums

Full Version: MVP: how does it work?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hey I have just gone and bought an MVP for my laptop and I am wondering how it works with gbpvr: do I need a TV tuner/card, or do I use the MVP instead?
The mvp is a network playback device to stream media to your tv. See this article over at BYOPVR for an excellent overview. http://www.byopvr.com/Sections+index-req...age-1.html

This is what inspired me to start with GBpvr a couple years ago.
You will need a tuner device to capture the TV signal. The article above is a little dated, now the PVR150 has replaced the PVR250.
You only need a TV Tuner to record TV. If you only want to play multimedia files that you have downloaded or created, then you will not need a tuner.

The MVP is like a viewer of mulitmedia files, but across a network. Even if it's only a meter away, it's still a newtork

In order to watch stuff from your computer, you need server software. Many folks do not like the server software that comes with the MediaMVP, and so they prefer to use GB-PVR as a MediaMVP server. GB-PVR does not require to be used as a PVR . it could be used just to play...
So could I set a pc up as a server running GBPVR and then set a remote pc to client mode and access it using GBPVR? Or do i need to buy some hardware? Would really love to be able to stream media (tv, music, recorded video, etc ,etc) over my network from my htpc al la myth tv (will get round to mastering linux one day)! If this isn't possible.... plugin suggestion? Or does anyone know how i can do this?

Thanks!

Smile
Yes you can do what you ask with the hardware you already have as mentioned.
rscheller Wrote:Yes you can do what you ask with the hardware you already have as mentioned.

Sorry if i'm being a numpty but i can seem to find a guide on how to do this? Is there one?

Cheers!
Go ahead and start by installing GBPVR on your HTPC (I assume it has a tuner card?) although, except for watching/recording TV, you don't need one.

Once you have GBPVR installed, run GBPVR on it to get a feel for GBPVR and I think things will become clearer to you. Then you can move on to GBPVR server, clients, MVPs, etc.

If you have any questions, there's lots of great people here to help.
Tis installed and workin mate (GBpvr)! Tried starting a server and then gettin a client to connect but it wouldn't Sad
The GBPVR server function under GBPVR config is actually for 'serving' files to a MediaMVP which you don't have in your hardware mix.

What you'll need to do is install GBPVR on another PC and set up the file paths and database pointers and such on the client machine.

Here's some info to get you started,

http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Networking/PCClient

Have fun.
Pages: 1 2 3 4