NextPVR Forums

Full Version: MVP H3 no 16:9 w/ BenQ Flatscreen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Another 16:9 post....

I have two MVP H3 units running here both with either the Hauppauge SW or GBPVR 98.8, one of the two with a BenQ DV3750 TV set. Scart with RGB.

I tried to set the aspect ratio to 16:9 for this setup (the other TV is 4:3 only). However, this doesn't appear to work. The TV properly switches to 16:9 with my digital satellite receivers but not with the MVP. I have tried both the Hauppauge Sw (many versions, many worked but no 16:9) and GBPVR with these lines in config.xml:
<MAC-DEFAULT>
(...)
<!-- true/false -->
<MVP16x9Mode>true</MVP16x9Mode>
<MAC-000DFE008BF8>
(...)
<MVP16x9Mode>true</MVP16x9Mode>

Is there a known issue with the H3 version not switching to 16:9 properly? What could be the reason that the TV isn't sent the proper 16:9) flag?

Thanks
newyankee
Have you tried another scart-port or via s-video.
There is no setting in the tv-setup you might change?

I think changing the setting in config.xml didn't work for me either, but via hauppauge sw-setup it worked ok.

edit: I don't have a H3 but a D3a (I think)
Tried both SCART ports and S-Video. TV is set to autodetect 16:9 and this works flawlessly with digital satellite receivers, so on the TV end, it should be OK.

16:9 had worked with a previously owned D3a...but on another TV that went out so I can't test with that anymore.

newyankee
newyankee Wrote:Tried both SCART ports and S-Video. TV is set to autodetect 16:9 and this works flawlessly with digital satellite receivers, so on the TV end, it should be OK.

16:9 had worked with a previously owned D3a...but on another TV that went out so I can't test with that anymore.

newyankee

Hi there. Just playing with a H2 and a 16x9 screen... In previous posts, HTV pointed out to me that the MVP always spits out 4x3 and only has 16x9 settings for menus and info screens...

I discovered that to be correct... (thanks htv)

That means that you will not be able to have your TV autodetect because the MVP will always show 4x3.

For me that's not all that bad... so now I have to tell my TV to stretch the display to 16x9.
Sorry, that <MVP16x9Mode> setting was only used for the old gbmvp.bin that is no longer used. You'll need to set the screen mode in the original Hauppauge MVP software. GB-PVR will then also pick up that setting.

As others have commented above, I suspect it wont do what you want though. The only difference I've seen with the 16:9 vs 4:3 settings on the MVP, is that playing a widescreen video with it set to 4:3 results in a centre-cut view, ie sides of the screen cropped to only show you the 4:3 bit from the middle of the picture.

EDIT: and if you're in a country that uses SCART, you may also get widescreen signalling if you're connected to the MVP via SCART cable. I'm using a US model with svideo/composite, so I wouldnt know about that.
I can't try out now,(not risking my life with my wife and daughter on the couch on saturday nightBig Grin ) but I remember this:
I have my tv set to automatic AR, practically that means that it tries to show no black bars, it doesn't really mind cutting off parts I think.
When I setup my mvp for 16:9, when I start up the mvp it puts the tv in 16:9 mode, so when I have a 4:3 recording (still a lot overhere) I think it puts black bars to the sides. When I setup the mvp for 4:3, when i start the mvp the tv sticks to automatic (probably 4:3 default). It gives me less unpredictable behaviour. But I still have to push the AR-button some times. So I always get it how I want it but not always automatic.Sad
I have carried out some further testing. I am using a SCART connection. By specification, the voltage of the signalling line should be 12V for 4:3 and 6V for 16:9. My previously owned D3A MVP did set the voltage correctly and all output was stretched to the full screen width.

So I went and measured on my current H3 units. The voltage on pin 8 of the SCART line always stays at 12 V (actually, 11.58V) regardless of the AR setting (16:9 or 4:3) in the configuration of the hauppauge software. So, this appears to be a hauppauge problem.

newyankee
Always nice to clear something up.Smile