NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Hardware related Stuttering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello to all Big Grin

I had originally posted my problem in the support form under the following link:
http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=20583

I thought maybe someone here in the hadrware forum may have better insight to resolving my problem.

To sumarize; When the frontend PC is connected to my home network at "1Gb/s" (using CAT 5e or Cat 6 cable) live TV stuttering is present.

The playback is smooth if the Network card is connected at "100Mb/s" using and old Cat 5 patch cable I had laying around.

I adjusted some of the XP priorities however it had no effect on the playback.

If anyone has an idea on how I can improve playback while connected at 1GB/s I would appreciate our advice.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards, Kevin
Zathras Wrote:Hello to all Big Grin
The playback is smooth if the Network card is connected at "100Mb/s" using and old Cat 5 patch cable I had laying around.
Regards, Kevin

Does it work ok at 100mb/s with the longer cables?
Htv, Thank you for your continued assistance. I was away for a couple days.... First let me say that when I purchased the CAT 6 cable I purchased one that was 6 ft (2m) length. I figured it was best comparing apples to apples so to speak (because the old CAT 5 cable was 6ft). When both client and server are connected using CAT 6 the stuttering is present.

The only way I can get the system working is by limiting one of the connections to 100mb/s. In other words, I could install the old CAT 5 patch cable between the "server and hub" or the "client and hub" to have decent live TV but could not have live tv with Client and Server connected using CAT 6 (or CAT 5e).

Obviously I will continue my research and try to figure out why this issue exists but at least the system works and Live TV functions.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards, Kevin
Zathras Wrote:When both client and server are connected using CAT 6 the stuttering is present.

Just to get things straight: You do not only switch cable but also change settings for your nics, from 100 mbit to 1 gbit or reverse. What happens if you set the nics to automatic?
Appologize for the confusion. I was trying hard to be descriptive but obviously I didn't succed.

To answer your question. No I did not limit the NIC. (I wish I was that smart).
I meant that by using the old patch cable I could limit the connection. The network hub has lights which indicate the connection speed. I placed the old patch cable between the hub and the "server". The hub displays a connection of 100Mb/s. The client is connected in the family room by a 10m CAT 5e cable.

The setup works.... Although I have no idea why I get sttutering if I put a newer cable between hub and server.

I hope this is a better explination and is clearer.

Thank you, Kevin
Is it a Hub or a true switch? if it is a hub, you may be suffering too many collisions at Gbit speeds, causing retries which could definitely affect performance.

Brian
Brian_W Wrote:Is it a Hub or a true switch? if it is a hub, you may be suffering too many collisions at Gbit speeds, causing retries which could definitely affect performance.

Brian

Do gbit hubs exist?:confused:

@ Zathras: You might consider updating your nic-drivers.
HtV Wrote:Do gbit hubs exist?:confused:

@ Zathras: You might consider updating your nic-drivers.

I have no idea, I would hope not! lol I wouldn't be surprised since they would be lower on cost and they can say "It supports Gigabit". marketing I tell ya.

Brian
It is an IO Data ETG2-SH8 8 Port Gigabit switching hub.

http://www.iodata.jp/prod/network/lanada.../index.htm

This is a japanese site containing the specs. Not sure that it is very helpful.
I will try to look for updated drivers although I think I updated them a couple of months back.

Brian if your senario was true would you have any recommendation?

Thanks again to all of you.

This is truly a great community!

Kevin
I did locate updated drivers... Thank you Htv for prodding me in that direction. Unfortunately the stuttering is still present when connected at 1Gb/s. The journey continues Big Grin
Pages: 1 2