NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Tuner/capture card for Satellite HDTV recording?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'd like to record satellite HDTV signals. (ExpressVu)

(I know that tuners can't handle the encrypted signals of non-free satellite signals so I'll be using an IR blaster with my STB.)

Is there a recommended tuner card that will do this and work with GBPVR?

Thanks Smile
no there is no reccomended tuner because there is no tuner that can do this.

to elaborate, what you are talking about is putting the raw component/DVI/HDMI input into a tuner card which will then encode that to a MPEG file (right?). the bitrates involved in doing that are huge, along with the ammount of processing power that would be needed to convert all that raw video to a mpeg2 file.

sorry

your only real option is to capture the content in a non-HD format, like through S-video, this will give you the ability to archive the show, but not in HD.
Ok, so if I understand this correctly, the only way to enjoy HD TV is to watch it live?
Not entirely true. You can still get free HDTV with HDTV capture cards.
stefan Wrote:Not entirely true. You can still get free HDTV with HDTV capture cards.

Aha. I knew there was a reason I was confused on this issue. Smile

Ok, so HDTV capture/tuner cards can let you view OTA HDTV without the need for a separate set top box/receiver. But can they record HDTV?
Quote:Ok, so HDTV capture/tuner cards can let you view OTA HDTV without the need for a separate set top box/receiver. But can they record HDTV?
Yes they record HDTV, but only OTA. They dont have component input or anything like that for recording HDTV from set top box (ExpressVu STB)
sub Wrote:Yes they record HDTV, but only OTA. They dont have component input or anything like that for recording HDTV from set top box (ExpressVu STB)

So this all comes down to the issue of available inputs on the tuners cards?

Technically, the tuner has the horsepower to encode the HDTV signal, but there just aren't any consumer-level cards that have the proper inputs?
No, there is more to it than the inputs. When the OTA HDTV cards recording HDTV, its receiving it in 'already encoded' MPEG2 format straight from the broadcaster - so its just a matter of saving it to disk.

What you're looking for is an HDTV encoder device, since you want to take an analog HDTV signal and encode it to MPEG2. These cards dont exist.
what sub saidBig Grin

sorry I didnt mean to confuse you about OTA, I assumed you knew you could do OTA HD recording (there are a bunch of threads about it).

I know I have seen people talking over on AVSForum about encoding raw HDTV, they were talking about $10k - $15k setups, typical for AVSForum:p