NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Stuck at Menu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have just set up gbPVR and an MVP. Cool software! Smile

The MVP gets an ip address and connects to the gbPVR software and I get the gbPVR menu but that is where the joy stops. The remote does not function at all except for the power button. The red light on the front of the MVP lights up but that's all the indication that I get that it is doing anything.

I have 98.13b of the gbPVR software and the first screen from the MVP says version 2.03. I have a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 150 tuner card installed in my PC. The PC is running XP Pro with 1GB of ram, 320GB hard drive and an Athlon XP 2000.

It all seems to work fine from the PC including the remote. It is just the MVP that has the remote problem. Any help on how to trouble shoot this problem would be great.

Thanks,
Raymond
Have you tried your MVP remote with the original Hauppauge MVP software?
sub Wrote:Have you tried your MVP remote with the original Hauppauge MVP software?

I didn't install any of the software that came with the MVP. Did I misunderstand that? I thought it was all driven directly from the gbPVR software.

I did confirm that the remote itself is ok. The tuner in the pc has the exact same remote and both the remote that came with the tuner card and the remote that came with the MVP work fine with gbPVR in the PC. It is only on the MVP that is a problem. Neither remote works on the MVP.

I can install the software to test with. Is this what I should do?

Thanks,
Raymond
P.S. Quick response Smile
I believe the power button on the remote is probably the only remote command that is read and acted upon exclusively and locally at the MVP and not sent back to the server PC for interpretation / action.

All other remote commands are received by the MVP and sent by the MVP via ethernet back to the software running on your PC server be it GBPVR or Hauppauge and the server then sends appropriate actions / data via ethernet back to the MVP for display.

Based on this and the description of your problem, I'd say you're MVP is not communicating via ethernet back to the PC server software.

Unfortunately, I have no specific suggestions to try for your problem.
rscheller Wrote:I believe the power button on the remote is probably the only remote command that is read and acted upon exclusively and locally at the MVP and not sent back to the server PC for interpretation / action.

All other remote commands are received by the MVP and sent by the MVP via ethernet back to the software running on your PC server be it GBPVR or Hauppauge and the server then sends appropriate actions / data via ethernet back to the MVP for display.

Based on this and the description of your problem, I'd say you're MVP is not communicating via ethernet back to the PC server software.

Unfortunately, I have no specific suggestions to try for your problem.

But I know that the network connection is working because I get the main menu....

I looked at the log file and really didn't find anything associated with the MVP.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Raymond
check to see if the network is running at 100mbps instead of 10 mbps or change a different network cable for testing. also check to see if the batteries are low.

Dan L.
Raymond Wrote:I can install the software to test with. Is this what I should do?
Actually to me the fact that the dongle is loading tells me that you have network connectivity but you should still see some log entries for this activity. If not set the log level to debug.

I would definitely suggest stopping gbpvr, installing the Hauppauge software and testing it with the MediaMVP (also changing the hardware settings from the main menu to match your tv/monitor preference). Then uninstall Hauppauge and try gbpvr again. If Hauppauge works and GBPVR still doesn't then I'd check any firewall you might have.

Finally in the off chance that you are running wired and wireless at the same time, I would choose one. I haven't actually tried this but this might mess up routing.

Martin
Quote:Based on this and the description of your problem, I'd say you're MVP is not communicating via ethernet back to the PC server software.

Is it possible to get ethernet communications from the server to the MVP but not "back" from the MVP to the server? That was my thought.

I'd suspect firewalls or other blocking software.
rscheller Wrote:Is it possible to get ethernet communications from the server to the MVP but not "back" from the MVP to the server? That was my thought.

I'd suspect firewalls or other blocking software.

The dongle is delivered through a UDP protocol called tftp that is not one way, the mediamvp bootloader must request the file and acknowledge transfer, and so there is communication back and forth.

I actually don't think it is firewall related in this case because the initial gbpvr menu loads meaning the TCP GUI server protocol is also being permitted the bi-directional communication needed for initialization and any remote keys commands would be sent back on exactly the same port. The next point of firewall type failure would be when media is requested but it didn't get that far.

Martin
The CD that came with the MVP apparently had a problem. (crc errors) But after downloading the latest from the Hauppauge web site I got the software installed and it works fine. I un-installed it and tried the gbPVR software again and there is no change. The only thing I haven't tried is both at once but that sounds like a problem to me.

As far as firewalls and network stuff, I disabled my virus software and my software firewall and several other non-essential items. The windows firewall was already off but I did confirm it was still off. Hardware wise the pc and MVP talk through a simple dLink 10/100 switch. It is a non-intelligent device and doesn't have firewalls or any such thing in it.

I'm pretty much at a loss at this point. On the bottom of the MVP it says:
Model 86019
Rev H3
Lot 1906

After resetting the MVP the software version displayed is 2.03.

If there is anything else that I can do or provide that might help, let me know.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.
Raymond
Pages: 1 2 3