NextPVR Forums

Full Version: How stable is Live TV with the MVP?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As some of you may know I'm working on a replacement dongle similar in theory to the gbmvp.bin that sub used to provide. Everything was going as I expected until I bought a Hauppauge PVR 150 and tried live tv. I just cannot get this to be stable. It's great for the first live tv selection and maybe for one or two channel up/downs or for watching a selection from the guide but after that forget it. I know some of this is my code since it magnifies problem, the but I cannot find a stable combination with gbpvr and the distributed dongle either to use as a reference.

98.08 seems better then 98.13 so that is were I have focused my comparison but it is far from perfect. The major problems I have found with the distributed software include (to be clear NOT using my dongle)

- channel up/down freezing
- stop key exiting gbpvr completely can't even reconnect to server
- the recording continuing after stop with the gui responding properly
- the guide indicating the device in use but recording service says sleeping.
- the problems are worse when I try inset video.

I can duplicate these easily. Am I the only one seeing this general problem?

Any suggestion on improving the stability with the standard installation would be appreciated.

Martin
The latest gbpvr-dongle works quite fine for me. Before that the dongle that came with gbpvr (dd 22-3-2005) was the most stable for me, I tested several others but didn't find a better one.
However, I don't use livetv much........

You do have this setting?
<MvpHighPriority>true</MvpHighPriority>

I have noticed that clicking fast with the remote might eventually lock it up/restart it. I think that depends on the server-specs too.

There are a lot of network tweaks on the wiki (by Tipstir) that might help as well.

Do you have a wired mvp? I think wireless will always be more vulnerable to connection-problems.

Edit: You might try raising the livetv-preplay-delay.
I have only been playing with gbpvr for about a week. I have however found that I can avoid crashing by selecting programming from the guide rather than just hitting live tv at the main menu.
I don't know what the technical difference is, but I have certainly experinced a huge difference in reliability.
Following is the situation i used to test these claims...

Using the live tv menu button on 3 MVP's concurrently causes one, two or all mvp's to reboot within 5 minutes. In some cases the mvp keeps rebooting repeatedly and never shows the gbpvr menu.

Using the guide and then selecting a program and selecting the watch item (on all 3 MVP's concurrently) will not cause the MVP reboot behavior. I tested this over five hours. leaving this setup running over night showed that one MVP dropped off overnight some time. two days later the remaining two MVP's were still running.
mvallevand Wrote:As some of you may know I'm working on a replacement dongle similar in theory to the gbmvp.bin that sub used to provide. Everything was going as I expected until I bought a Hauppauge PVR 150 and tried live tv. I just cannot get this to be stable. It's great for the first live tv selection and maybe for one or two channel up/downs or for watching a selection from the guide but after that forget it. I know some of this is my code since it magnifies problem, the but I cannot find a stable combination with gbpvr and the distributed dongle either to use as a reference.

Hi Martin,

Live TV on the MVP is very stable for me on 98.13 with the latest patches (gbpvr.exe replacements -- see survival guide thread). I don't run it with the inset -- I did find that to be unstable and I saw no benefit in using it, so I've not really tried to get it to work for me.

I think the key to getting Live TV to be stable may be in having a fairly large pre-play delay set. I'm using 2000 ms. I have the quality settings fairly high (VBR 6600 - 8400). I don't use wireless.

I don't normally do a lot of channel surfing, but I did try quite a few channel changes to test and could not make it disconnect. I do see very occasional disconnects, but almost never with Live TV.

I have four PVR150 tuners and four D3A MVPs.
Its also worth MVP owners applying this patch: http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=1...ostcount=6
sub Wrote:Its also worth MVP owners applying this patch: http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=1...ostcount=6

I just started looking at 98.13 with the patch and I do think this resolves at least 90% of my reproducable stability issues and I am really glad to go back to it. I also look forward to trying the suggestions being offered to make things even better.

Also, given the negative message on another forum, I hope this thread is not being taken out of context. I am comparing the GBPVR and Hauppauge server software, stopping and starting each up to 100 times a day, and I see things that most people should never encounter in daily use.

I am also a bit extreme while testing the functionality since I actually try to break things, all on top of using a work-in-progress dongle, but I have absolutely seen marked improvements in stability with each release I have tried over the past 8 months, and going backwards with gbpvr has never proven to be beneficial.

Martin