NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Analog side of HVR3000/HVR4000 devices supported by software?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In September you noted

Quote:There is no hardware MPEG2 encoder on the analog side of this device, so this specific aspect of the device does not work.

but recently you noted

sub Wrote:GB-PVR only works with the newest 88x devices (Hauppauge HVR-3000 and HVR-4000).
sub, your change log for these cards notes:

Quote:- Added support for new Hauppauge HVR3000/HVR4000 devices including DVB-T, DVB-S and software encoding analog. These devices have one tuner for DVB-S, and another for DVB-T/analog, so these two can be done at the same time. HVR1100/900 could also work in theory with this software encoding, but will require updates to direct.ini. To support the analog side of these devices, GB-PVR reuses several SoftPVR components, so this Hauppauge supplied software must have been installed.

Normally you say if it doesn't have a H/W MPEG2 Encoder, GBPVR can't support the analog side. Am I given to understand that these particular cards, while software analog-based, are an exception to this rule, provided SoftPVR is installed ?

k.
Quote: Am I given to understand that these particular cards, while software analog-based, are an exception to this rule, provided SoftPVR is installed ?
yes
So would that mean any software based wintv product will work i.e the wintv go range?
No, I'm fairly sure most of them wont work. It only supports the one specific layout of filters used by the HVR3000/4000. A lot of software based card use different filter layout.

That said, I havnt tried it with any of these older cards myself, so cant tell you what models specifically use the correct layout.
sub Wrote:yes

Thanks sub, have just updated the Dual Tuner Primer with a note to that effect. Presumably the analog part does require some additional CPU resources over those that are purely hardware based MPEG2 Encoder cards on the analog side?

k.
Yes, it uses quite a bit of CPU when recording from the analog tuner. You wouldnt want to have more than one of these in a machine.