NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Wireless MVP Information Request
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am in the process of collecting information on the Hauppauge wireless MVP in order to create a shared source of user experience with this device and the various wireless routers that are available. To help me out, a brief synopsis of your personal experience connecting your wmvp in wireless mode would be appreciated.

I am especially interested in finding out details on specific router setup options that may have been required. If warranted I will publish a web page, (names will not be used unless you give prior approval), to help others since it appears the results of wireless use have been mixed and I feel that part of this is due to missing information.

To get this started here is my experience:

Router: D-Link DIR-625 wireless N router. Using the router defaults the mvp would show my SSID and I could select it however a message would be presented indicating that I could connect to the wireless router but an IP address could not be obtained. I tried several versions of the firmware all with the same result. Eventually after much frustration I found that if I deselected the default option "WMM Enable" the problem disappeared and I could connect without any difficulties and the network speed was excellent

MediaMVP: H1 running firmware 2.05

I look forward to hearing from some of you.

Martin
Hi Martin,

Nice idea.

I had a small crack at this for using the wired MVP in conjunction with a 2nd Wireless Router (i.e. 2 in Bridge mode) a while ago but it's far from comprehensive (feel free to snaffle anything). If you want to make the web page complete perhaps consider seperating it into "native wired wMVP" and "wired via a Router sections"?

For the latter in the WIKI I put:

I like the idea of Wireless MediaMPV. How do I set it up?

I have a D3A, with two WRT54GS v1.1's, both on HyperWRT Thibor 15c, with no problems, wireless bridge mode. I also use static IP reservation. Once every week or so, I might get a reboot, usually after mashing too many buttons FF/SKIP etc on the MVP remote one after the other or when low spec'd PC is busy doing something else.

My earlier feedback on "wired via a Router" can be found in these posts, hopefully they (and the threads theselves) are useful. This will also allow existing wired MVP folks to realise they can get wireless too.

k.
Using D-Link DI-524 wireless router with two wireless MVPs.

Generally everything worked well on initial setup with one MVP. I set GBPVR to serve one MVP and plugged in the MVP, went through the setup and WEP coding and it worked. Since then I've added a second MVP and the setup for it went smooth too.

One thing of note, I did setup fixed IP addresses on all my LAN/wireless connected devices on my DI-524.

Except for the occasional random disconnect (maybe once a week), my wireless setup has worked quite satisfactoryly.
I am trying to setup a wireless MVP with a D-Line DI-524 router and GBPVR 0.98.13b under Windows 2000. WEP is enabled on the router. I get as far as the message that says the MVP is connected to the network (after entering the WEP key), but it is unable to receive an IP address, then it goes back to the setup screen.

I have tried the wired port on the MVP (direct to the router) and all works well, so I suspect a wireless setup issue. The wireless MVP never shows up on the router's DHCP list. I am no network expert either, I might add...

Any thoughts? What other info is needed to get to the bottom of this?

thanks
imnotcool, I have the same router as you and my system works. My router is running firmware version 4.00.

A few things...

The wMVP will not show a name under 'host name' on the DI-524 Static DHCP Client List but it will show up as having been assigned an IP address with the MAC address of the wMVP if it is truly connected to the DI-524.

If the wMVP doesn't show up on the DHCP Client List on the DI-524 and you're sure you have all the Wireless Settings on the DI-524 correct, which it sounds as if you do, then it may be a signal quality / interference issue.
rscheller,

My router firmware is 1.02. Perhaps I should consider a firmware upgrade?

The wMVP is closer to the router than previously, but still on IP address. I still suspect something in the wireless setup, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

I currently have a 50' ethernetcable running across the floor so I can use the setup. I'd really like to get that situation addressed, however.

thanks again and Merry Christmas!
imnotcool Wrote:I am trying to setup a wireless MVP with a D-Line DI-524 router and GBPVR 0.98.13b under Windows 2000. WEP is enabled on the router. I get as far as the message that says the MVP is connected to the network (after entering the WEP key), but it is unable to receive an IP address, then it goes back to the setup screen.
That's same problem I had on my DIR-625 until I turned the QoS option off. Since you are seeing the SSID and can enter the WEP key you should also see the Signal strength and I was able to get an an IP as low as -81.

Martin
Well, I updated router firmware (DI-524 - Rev A, version 1.23 now), and still no wireless. I haven't tried with WEP turned off, but still suspect it is something else, since the wMVP connects to the network with security enabled, but cannot get an IP address.

I've tried setting the wMVP as a static DHCP client but that hasn't worked either. Any other thoughts?
imnotcool Wrote:Well, I updated router firmware (DI-524 - Rev A, version 1.23 now), and still no wireless. I haven't tried with WEP turned off, but still suspect it is something else, since the wMVP connects to the network with security enabled, but cannot get an IP address.

I've tried setting the wMVP as a static DHCP client but that hasn't worked either. Any other thoughts?

Did you try turning on G Mode Only? Some devices (I don't know about wMVP's) don't like mixed mode.

Also did you connect the wired port to the router? This would confirm that you do get an IP and that DHCP is configured properly.

Martin
The system currently is working with the wired port. It is only the wireless side that is a problem.

At one point I did try G mode only (can't remember if it was before or after the router firmware upgrade) and that didn't help, but I'll try that again. I'm looking forward to that "aha" moment - it just hasn't come yet...

Thanks,
Tony
Pages: 1 2